Question Can a Raspberry Pi be used as a media server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
I don’t know anything about Raspberry Pi’s or what they are capable of. So here the situation, were I live we have terrible internet, like can’t even load a 360p video without serious buffering. No alternative available in my area, which is fine for the most part. I have access to decent internet but I have to travel, which I do monthly. Which is when I download a lot of media to watch through the month, on my Fire 10 Tablet. However I know of no way to connect the tablet to the TV, without streaming but because my internet is so bad that isn’t really an option anyway. So looking to find a device that can handle the following.

- Run the Netflix App, Download Video within the App, and Handle Playback to the TV via HDMI

- Be able play raw media files, like movies or shows, hopefully up to 4K, but 1080p is fine.

- Ideally a small form factor like the size of the original Fire TV would be nice. Would like to be Velcro to the back of my TV, and then be able to throw it in my bag when I visit good internet land and boot up Netflix and download my stuff. So you know mobile is good.

- Enough Storage expandable or otherwise to storage all the Netflix Videos, and HD Movies, TV, etc.

I think that really it, just basically the simplest little media PC type thingy. Hopefully that is a possible thing to accomplish. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
Think about this. The hardware that you seek is exactly the same as a media pirate would use. I think it is unlikely that you will find the hardware you desire in the white market.

DivneBloodline

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
Think about this. The hardware that you seek is exactly the same as a media pirate would use. I think it is unlikely that you will find the hardware you desire in the white market.
I understand what you are saying but it’s also pretty basic right stuff? Like an HDMI cable from a Laptop to TV. I mean I could do this all already on any tablet just need a way to put that on my TV. Only problem I have is my internet is up to standard, so methods such as streaming army possible. Didn’t think this would be that hard to find accomplish. While I guess I’ll keep watching everything on my Fire 10 screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.