Question Can a router be a repeater with just wifi password?

omkar29

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
So the situation is i know the password of my office wifi and i live where i get some range of that same wifi. Which stays on 24x7 and nobody uses in the nights.
I'm just wondering is it possible to use my router as client device and make my own network. kind of like a repeater? Could be great back up for me.

My router is archer C60, and can run openWRT

Update: Guys! that's my office, my wifi, i pay for it. It's always on because of CCTVs. I just dont know the router log in and wanted a quick fix. Because if i reset the router i may not able to have internet access without calling ISP customer care.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Yeah, your company might not like having "home" devices on their network. It is a security risk. Your desktop could get a malware infection and compromise the work network. IF, they have an isolated guest network, you might be OK, but if I was network admin, I would not approve your home devices on the core company network.

USAFRet

Titan
At my last job, the network chief got fired for doing almost exactly what you seek - Using the company network from home, for his own uses, without permission.

"Hey Kevin, don't do that anymore"
'OK'
"Kevin, really...don't do this anymore"
'OK, I won't'
"poof...you're fired"

If they have the network setup correctly you won't be able to accomplish this. Best practice is to use enterprise mode where every user has his own userid and password. Even if you try to use your id/password on a router it will not be able to connect because the connection is secured with 802.1x. 802.1x is designed to prevent exactly what you are attempting to do. Now you could use your PC as a router but that gets messy quickly.

Even if they don't use enterprise mode and use a common key they should have disabled WDS. WDS is the function that allows you to run a repeater and connect mulitple mac addresses over a encrypted wifi session. The mac address is part of the encryption which restricts the connection to a single device.....unless you use the "hack" called WDS. WDS is not part of the official standard but everyone runs it. It is considered a security exposure so it is recommended it be disabled. The security exposure is people like you that do not really know what you are doing hooking stuff into the network.

omkar29

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
Guys! that's my office, my wifi, i pay for it. It's always on because of CCTVs . I just dont know the router log in and wanted quick fix. Because if i reset the router i may not able to have internet access without calling ISP customer care.

omkar29

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
your router, your WiFi, your office, your bill...
But you don't know the router log in.

hmmm.......
Yes I'm the boss, ISP guy set it up for me 7 years ago.

Guys! that's my office, my wifi, i pay for it. It's always on because of CCTVs . I just dont know the router log in and wanted quick fix. Because if i reset the router i may not able to have internet access without calling ISP customer care.

I can have it done but it wont happen till monday and i need quick fix.

So is it possible?

Last edited:

misar

Prominent
Sep 25, 2018
OpenWrt will do what you want because I use it that way.

1. Temporarily connect your PC and router with an ethernet cable (no need to turn off WiFi on the PC).
  2. Login to the OpenWrt GUI .
  3. Go to Network, Wireless and press the Scan button in the top row of the Wireless Overview screen.
  4. When the scan completes select the office router SSID and press Connect.
  5. Edit the new connection and enter the office WiFi security option and password.
  6. After that you can press "Save and apply" (or something like that).
  7. This automatically changes your router wireless channel to the office router channel because it is locked to it in this mode. This will disconnect the WiFi which is why you need a cable connection (in case you need to tweak the settings).

Once the WiFi has restarted and connected to the PC you can remove the cable. You should have Internet access via the office but I have no idea whether you could access the office network devices (I have never tried to use it for that).

omkar29

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
OpenWrt will do what you want because I use it that way.

1. Temporarily connect your PC and router with an ethernet cable (no need to turn off WiFi on the PC).
  2. Login to the OpenWrt GUI .
  3. Go to Network, Wireless and press the Scan button in the top row of the Wireless Overview screen.
  4. When the scan completes select the office router SSID and press Connect.
  5. Edit the new connection and enter the office WiFi security option and password.
  6. After that you can press "Save and apply" (or something like that).
  7. This automatically changes your router wireless channel to the office router channel because it is locked to it in this mode. This will disconnect the WiFi which is why you need a cable connection (in case you need to tweak the settings).
Once the WiFi has restarted and connected to the PC you can remove the cable. You should have Internet access via the office but I have no idea whether you could access the office network devices (I have never tried to use it for that).
I tried doing what you suggested. My router is now connected to the office network and connection shows green but no internet access. I choose office wifi mode to client the only way my router connects to the network.

any idea what might be wrong?