[SOLVED] Can A520 chipset overclock igpu ?

Solution
Yes this makes sense still I guess I should get better results tweaking the apu with a b550 mobo should not I ? I used to oc my 2200g with a b450 getting amazing results. Only problem was soc vrms were overheating but that b450 mobo gave me the option to undervolt. So I am thinking all these exta options might be missing in a 520 motherboard.
To be sure a B550 will give you a lot more options. The question that's hard to answer is whether it will pay off in actual performance improvements that make it worth whatever extra cost there is. It's hard to say.

One thing to note is that SOC VRM may not be any more capable on a B550 than on the X520 motherboard. That's probably because the designers pretty much expect that board to...
I think you can overclock the iGPU using either the Radeon Settings app (installed when you install the full driver package from AMD's web site) or MSI's Afterburner. You can also overclock memory using XMP settings. Those are the better options for an APU since overclocking the CPU only limits what you can get overclocking the iGPU which will, along with faster memory, give you the better frame rate improvements in gaming.

At least that's what my understanding is as I don't have an APU myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: zentral13
Nov 23, 2020
Yes this makes sense still I guess I should get better results tweaking the apu with a b550 mobo should not I ? I used to oc my 2200g with a b450 getting amazing results. Only problem was soc vrms were overheating but that b450 mobo gave me the option to undervolt. So I am thinking all these exta options might be missing in a 520 motherboard.

To be sure a B550 will give you a lot more options. The question that's hard to answer is whether it will pay off in actual performance improvements that make it worth whatever extra cost there is. It's hard to say.

One thing to note is that SOC VRM may not be any more capable on a B550 than on the X520 motherboard. That's probably because the designers pretty much expect that board to be paired with CPU's that don't have an iGPU and therefore won't load the SOC VRM heavily.

Solution