Question Can an B+M M.2 SSD work in a B slot?

May 23, 2023
I have a Dell E5570 and I want to add dual storage. I already have an NVME SSD and I have an empty slot labeled WWAN for a SIM card adapter.
IMG20230524205728.jpg

It can be seen that there is the B key but no M key. I have done research and the WWAN card that belongs in this machine is M.2 PCIE and uses the NGFF form factor.

Does this mean I am able to insert a B&M key SSD with 2242 form factor in this slot? If yes, does the slot accept NVME or SATA or both types of M.2 SSD?

(apologize for the low resolution picture)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That does look like a B type. So it should be capable of SATA and PCIe 1x.

That is no guarantee Dell followed the standards exactly. It could be a PCIe 1x slot only.

The really low capacity drives are cheap, you could test one out before committing to the size you want.

May 23, 2023
That does look like a B type. So it should be capable of SATA and PCIe 1x.

That is no guarantee Dell followed the standards exactly. It could be a PCIe 1x slot only.

The really low capacity drives are cheap, you could test one out before committing to the size you want.
Thank you very much for the reply! I will try to get a cheap M.2 SATA SSD first.

Most SATA M.2 SSDs have both the B and M keys cut out so they can work in an M-keyed (NVMe) slot as well. Keying is not an absolute, it's just a physical compatibility check. So basically, if it fits, it sits works.