Can an SSD be damaged by touching SATA Connector

Solution
I wouldn't worry about it. People seem to think computer parts are extremely fragile, but they can take more abuse than people seem to think. I suppose if you had some crazy static build-up, you could do some damage to the inner circuits, but it's really not much of a concern. Just ground yourself before touching it if you're worried.

avarice

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
About the only possible damage that could be done is a static discharge that could theoretically affect the internal workings of the drive.

However unless you are keen to shuffling across the carpet wearing wool socks in an arid environment prior to working on your PC - I doubt you would have enough static to do anything - also - if you WERE working on your PC - chances are at some point prior to touching the SSD - you would have touched the case and grounded yourself.

I would not worry - but just like your parents used to say - 'Don't touch that!!!' (if you can avoid it.)

lindsay24

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't worry about it. People seem to think computer parts are extremely fragile, but they can take more abuse than people seem to think. I suppose if you had some crazy static build-up, you could do some damage to the inner circuits, but it's really not much of a concern. Just ground yourself before touching it if you're worried.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

--------------------------------------
• Do not touch the gold connectors on your SSD.
• To minimize static electricity, touch your computer case before handling the SSD.
--------------------------------------

Exactly as mentioned. You don't want gunk from your fingers on the contacts. Skin oils, peanut butter, etc.
Over time, this may cause some corrosion.

And of course, the extreme static possibility.

This is nothing special with an SSD, but rather ALL electronics.