Can any GTX model for example Gigabyte GTX 960 built into an ASUS z97-a motherboard?

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
So, I don't understand this. For example the GPU I'm going to buy is Gigabyte GTX 960 or EVGA model, and my motherboard is gonig to be ASUS Z97-A. Will this work or what? As far as I know, it must be the same motherboard brand that you buy the GPU from!?

Also if it might work, will this cause any damage to my PC? Thanks for reading.

Solution
Any manufacturers motherboard with work with another manufacturer's gpu, providing it has the correct interface.

Both gtx 960's and that motherboard have pci-e 3.0 x16 interface, so yes it will work.

No it will not cause any damage to your pc. Just buy the one that is cheaper as they will perform pretty much the same.
no there no brand gpu that has to be installed in newer mb today. all gpu today are ether stock vendor cards from nvidia with asus or another brand logo on them or there custom built cards. a few years ago you had to watch out what type of slot the mb had. all new mb now use the same video card slot.
all you have to watch out for is the size of your power supply and the gpu load and cpu load.

if the cpu is 100w and the gpu is 150. you need to get a power supply that has more then 250w on the 12v rail.

camohanna

Distinguished
Any manufacturers motherboard with work with another manufacturer's gpu, providing it has the correct interface.

Both gtx 960's and that motherboard have pci-e 3.0 x16 interface, so yes it will work.

No it will not cause any damage to your pc. Just buy the one that is cheaper as they will perform pretty much the same.

Solution
The one advantage to buying from the same manufacturer is that when you call the MoBo manufacturer for tech support, the 1st thing they will do is blame the GFX card ... (and visa versa) ... when they are the same brand, they're can't shuffle you off the phone.

I would suggest avoid ing the EVGA SC line as historically this series is simple a reference PCB with a nice cooler. The Asus Strix, MSI Gaming and Gigabyte Windforce at least upgrade the PCB with some beefed up componentry.

As for the MoBo..... the Asus Z97-A is note exactly a stellar gaming performer.... check the lastest Z97 review on overclock3d and looking at the gaming page. I think that's the Gaming 6 ... it will have a graph showing all the MoBos they have tested compared against one another.

The other thing ya might want to look at is the number of negative (1 egg) ratings on newegg. A rather extreme percentage (27%) of board owners gave the board the very worst possible rating

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

If a board has more than 10-12% of users giving it just 1 egg, it's generally a board that I won't want to deal with. Of course you need enough reviews (25) or so to make it statistically significant

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

So which Gaming Motherboard is excellent for gaming then?

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

Will this be good for overclocking?

camohanna

Distinguished

Yes. One of the best.

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

Well.. I found out it isn't in Egypt stores so I can't get it.. Is there any alternative? There is the same model but gaming 3 !

camohanna

Distinguished

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

So the GIGABYTE GA-Z97 Gaming 3 is better than ASUS Z97-A ? I'm still not sure..

Which is better of them:

GIGABYTE GA-Z97 Gaming 3
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
MSI Z97 Gaming 3

Here's the results of Guru3Ds testing ranked fastest to slowest w/ the % indicating how fast that board is compared to the 1st one.

Given their pricing, the MSI and Gigabyte Gaming 5's are a phenomenal buy

MoBo % of Leader

MSI Z97 Gaming 9 100.00%
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 99.86%
MSI Z97A Gaming 6 98.96%
Asus Z97 TUF Sabranco 96.13%
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 95.00%
Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force 94.95%
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero 93.67%
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Formula 93.58%
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Gene 91.69%
Asus Z97-A 89.57%
MSI Z97 Mpower MAX AC 88.20%
MSI Z97S SLI 71.01%

17093640150l.jpg

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

You're making me more confused really.. I see most people are saying ASUS Z97-A is better than MSI Z97 Gaming 5! Did you try the MSI Z97 Gaming 5?

Look at the user reviews on newegg for the Asus Z97-A

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118

With 27% of people who own the thing giving it an extremely negative 1 egg rating, it would seem that "most people" who actually own it are saying something very different.

We have the Gaming 5, we have the $300 Asus Maximus Formula, we had the Asus Hero

The MSI Gaming 5 has 10% negative 1 egg reviews
Gigabyte Gaming 5 has 12% negative 1 egg reviews
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cut off line
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Hero has 19% negative 1 egg reviews
Asus Z97 Maximus VII Formula has 26% negative 1 egg reviews

If ya want Asus, I'd look at the Sabranco.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_sabertooth_z97_mark_s_sabranco_preview/1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132414

4 % negative 1 egg reviews tho with only 28 votes.... I'd be more comfy statistically once it gets more reviews. It certainly is beautiful..... my son did a build with one recently but OI never saw it till it was done ... in the Enthoo Luxe with matching white RAM and the MSI white 970s it looks frakin gorgeous.

Ahmed Sabry

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015

Well.. I'm going for the MSI Gaming 5, but what about the dead motherboards? I heard many people got a dead motherboards! :(