[SOLVED] Can anybody help me about this problem with overheating

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 8, 2021
Hi everyone. I'm having problems with my GPU. It keeps overheating, and shutting down when it gets to around 70C. I've researched about it and people with the same gpu as me gets far hotter before shutting down. I'm not sure why, but i think it's because of bad airflow
Here's a drawing i did in paint about how many fans and space there's in my PC.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/2474/dJW5xQ.png

Copy and pase it.

Here's my specs

RX 5700 XT

16 GB ram 3200 mhz

R5 3600

Amd Wraith CPU Cooler

Corsair VS650

Asus Tuf B450-Plus Gaming

3 Fans that came with the case

1 TB hard drive

512 gb m.2 ssd

The case is FSP Fortron CST311

If anybody knows a solution please reply to this thread.

Edit: Forgot to say the GPU almost have no space only like 4 cm

Apr 8, 2021
What did your temps get up to?
If all good, go ahead and loop the Unigine demo for 40 mins to see how your GPU handles it.
70-80 at 80 mins using 98-100% of my cpu no crashing or rebooting. Gonna check my gpu, and if it overheats gonna take the side panel off and see if that's the problem. (Gonna take the side panel off because of bad airflow)

Apr 8, 2021
You need to let it go for at least 30 mins. With Blended test it will run several different tests. Some push the CPU more while others push both the CPU and RAM.
Don't rush diagnostics. You need to put some time into figuring out where your problem is. Hopefully, you don't have a compound problem with multiple components.

Unigine Valley - https://benchmark.unigine.com/valley
Found out the GPU was the problem gonna sell it probably because of the price rn

Apr 8, 2021
What did your temps get up to?
If all good, go ahead and loop the Unigine demo for 40 mins to see how your GPU handles it.
I took my word back. Okay so me and my friend play 7 days to die together we got 50-55c each, but my pc rebooted and hes didn't so could it be something to do with the psu?

Very possible
Your psu is a vs series so it could be the problem.
In hwinfo64 there is voltage readings
It would show current, low, high, and average of the 12v,5v, and 3v.
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/YNIuVt8

Did you install the psu fan down to the intake vent or fan up?
If you installed fans down is the cpu on a table or hard surface so air can get in from the bottom vent.
If on carpet the weight, short case legs/case feet would sink down into the carpet, which could cut off air to the psu so could be a chance the psu is over heating.

If fan up from your drawing it may not be getting enough air as well if it can't draw enough air from the front of the case under the psu cover.

Do you have any errors in windows event viewer ?

Look up your gpu from your brand wesite and see what the recommended psu requirement is for that gpu is.
I haven't ever had a Amd gpu but from reading they are power hungery and produce more heat but 70c shouldn't be shutting it down.

Is your friend willing to swap out GPU's and test yours?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Freezing with sound still playing is a driver issue, and totally different to a shutdown as such.

I'd start out by looking up exactly which motherboard you have, goto that motherboard website/support and download the latest edition of the motherboard chipset drivers. Make sure Audio and Lan are included especially if not in an all-in-one package.

When playing a game, everything has to be in-sync. The sounds need to match the motions need to match user/internet inputs. If one thing is out of sync or held up by another process, the gpu gets confused and puts the output on hold temporarily. Most see this as stuttering or temporary freezes that get fixed by windows overrides. If it's bad enough, the freeze becomes anything upto permanent, the audio keeps playing for a while then stopping, but the screen is now locked in a loop as windows is fighting with other drivers for priority.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
but can you explain to me why it doesn't happend when i play games that don't use that much power.
You've answered yourself, nothing happens because the components aren't "working hard enough" to shutdown the computer, the unigine test worked because only the graphics card was being loaded and not the CPU.

A 5700XT at 70 ºC is absolutely not overheating, it's even a low temp considering how hot those cards can get, it's definitely the PSU that's just old and not enough to power those components.

Bear in mind that just because a component isn't overheating doesn't mean that it isn't failing. A CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, etc., can fail as a result of other issues NOT related to heat.

Just because a GPU stays relatively cool does not mean the issue can't be the GPU.

You still haven't described what exactly happens when you run Unigine Valley, looping.

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
Okay so i've been running it for 40 mins and how many tests are there? Here's the results i got
Fri Apr 9 22:42:36 2021]
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!
Self-test 480K passed!