Can anyone explain the Differences of Videocards,Im confused

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alden

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the info here are my specs:

P4 1.8GHZ
768 RAM
nvidia FX 5200
Asrock motherboard

this is it i think

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Well IMO, you'd better consider nV 7600GT or sth similar, ATi 1950 Pro AGP is too much for your system. I bet your cpu is one of the last Sckt 423 cpu or early Sckt478 cpu (did i write sth wrong?It feels ...wrong somewhere :? )

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
I had an email back a long time ago from a guy (who had no idea what he was buying) and got a 7800gtx, but had an AGP board. His buddy, who made him believe he knew a lot about computers, just told him to get some wire cutters and chop off parts of the pci-e connectors on the card to 'fit it' into place. He made him believe that what you were supposed to do...trim it up to fit.

Moral of the story is:

If you don't know what you are doing, make sure you find someone who does and verify they do before you take their advice. I will try to find the pic/story and post it :)

I remember that, wish I could find the link.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I had an email back a long time ago from a guy (who had no idea what he was buying) and got a 7800gtx, but had an AGP board. His buddy, who made him believe he knew a lot about computers, just told him to get some wire cutters and chop off parts of the pci-e connectors on the card to 'fit it' into place. He made him believe that what you were supposed to do...trim it up to fit.

Moral of the story is:

If you don't know what you are doing, make sure you find someone who does and verify they do before you take their advice. I will try to find the pic/story and post it :)

I remember that, wish I could find the link.

I posted one copy that I found, farther up the forum...

http://yellinglizard.com/wp-content/image4nq.jpg

I found it to be incredibly hilarious. Poor guy, maybe he should have just called Dell...

SP73

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
my AGP system ran with a geforce 7600GS and played primarily guild wars, which ran great.

if you're just gonna be playing guild wars, than I'd recommend this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130076

but In guild wars I had processor issues, with my 2.4Ghz P4, so despite a new graphics card, you're still gonna lag a lot.
your processor's just as old as your graphics card...
so if you're gonna wanna do more intensive gaming / play any new games that come out, you're probably just gonna have to just get a whole new computer.

yquo

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
If you can change your motherboard, the agi slot is not a real agp port it has the bandwith of 2 standard pci slots (not pci express) so it's limited to the pci bus speed and usage.