Question Can anyone help me identify the problem with my WiFi connection?

Sep 11, 2022
Hello,

I have a frustrating problem with my WiFi and I don't know what the problem is or how to fix it.

My WiFi which works fine generally, however there are parts of my home where I can only connect if I unplug the router and plug it back in again. Basically my phone and laptop will connect in those spaces and the signal remains stable once connected, but the only way to get connected is to switch the router off and on again.

It might sounds like a straightforward issue of getting an extender, but it isn't a big property and I never had this problem in the past. It just started to happen recently.

Also, occasionally when I have been out, my phone/laptop won't connect to the WiFi when I return. I have to switch the router off and on again to connect.

Many thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention that the router is located in the room directly next to the the area where I can only connect when I turn the router off and on again. The two areas are separated by a hollow core locked door.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router? (Or modem-router if combined?)

Any new neighbors or other nearby wireless networks - could be interference. What frequency and channels are you using?

No wired connection(s) - correct?

On the laptop verify that only the wireless network adapter is enabled. Ensure that the wired network adapter is disabled.

Oct 4, 2022
Based on the fact that you're rebooting the router to get it to work again means:

The router reboots on a different channel which clears the problem. UNLIKELY because you say it happens again.

The reboot refreshes the router for a while and then it goes faulty again. Likely a software or hardware failure.

Here are three possibilities I can think of for this:

1.) As suggested, there may be interference on that wifi channel. Try changing the channels around and see if you have any luck. You may find better speeds as well by changing the channel. I know people say use channel 1 6 11 or 1 5 9 13 if those are available to you, but honestly if other networks around you are really weak, you can pick whatever you like.

2.) The router software is corrupted. Do a factory reset on the router by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, then set it up again and see if this helps.

3.) Your router is faulty.
It may seem that the router is working, but when there are strange (or intermittent) problems it's very likely the router is causing the issues.
Test with a different router if you can or just replace it completely.

Last edited: