[SOLVED] Can ASrock Fatal1ty b450 itx drive Ryzen 9 5950x cpu?

Solution
I will be running it inside a watercooled 1U case with 11.000 rpm delta fans which makes me believe there should be more than enaugh airflow going through the VRM heatsink.

I will be using 40x60mm X-Flow NeXxos radiators from Alphacool.

Though I'm not sure if Asrock Fatal1ty B450 itx supports 64GB DDR4?
My friend is rebuilding his old pc and he will be giving me his slower DDR4 3200mhz ram 2x32GB which should be perfect for my case.
Does it support 64GB ram?
Just make sure the VRM is located in an airstream. It's can easily end up in a deadzone with little or no airflow over it.. That seems to happen a lot in conventional ATX cases.

But I have to imagine you've done this sort of thing before...
It d

I am not going to do any overclocking whatsoever!
I think it should be fine though since R9-5950x has TDP of 105 watts which should be totally fine at stock speeds.
TDP is not usable measure of current but only for heat and with it cooling. Electrica power requirement is up to 150W and 180W at full boost with PBO enabled. It also stands to reason that CPU with 16 cores would use more power than let's say 8 or 6 or 4 cores. All that power has to come from VRM.

Will the VRM overheat trying to drive such a powerful CPU?
What kind of case are you putting this thing in? Most likely, the problem you'll have is maintaining decent airflow across the VRM. But then, the CPU might not be thermally constrained if you have to run it with a low profile cooler to fit the space allowed if in a small form-factor build. At least those coolers are (usually) down-blowing and that will cool the VRM pretty well.

If not in a small form-factor build or using typical desktop cooling then the VRM may not be well cooled since they don't usually use a fan that directs air across the VRM.

This was a well-reviewed board when it came out, primarily because the VRM design was very capable in an ITX form factor. But that was in 2018 before 16 core 3950's and 5950's were around. Overall, Ryzen 5000 is so efficient I can imagine it will work well enough if you accept the compromises a typical small form factor build can end up imposing.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021
What kind of case are you putting this thing in? Most likely, the problem you'll have is maintaining decent airflow across the VRM. But then, the CPU might not be thermally constrained if you have to run it with a low profile cooler to fit the space allowed if in a small form-factor build. At least those coolers are (usually) down-blowing and that will cool the VRM pretty well.

If not in a small form-factor build or using typical desktop cooling then the VRM may not be well cooled since they don't usually use a fan that directs air across the VRM.

This was a well-reviewed board when it came out, primarily because the VRM design was very capable in an ITX form factor. But that was in 2018 before 16 core 3950's and 5950's were around. Overall, Ryzen 5000 is so efficient I can imagine it will work well enough if you accept the compromises a typical small form factor build can end up imposing.
I will be running it inside a watercooled 1U case with 11.000 rpm delta fans which makes me believe there should be more than enaugh airflow going through the VRM heatsink.

My friend is rebuilding his old pc and he will be giving me his slower DDR4 3200mhz ram 2x32GB which should be perfect for my case.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Just make sure the VRM is located in an airstream. It's can easily end up in a deadzone with little or no airflow over it.. That seems to happen a lot in conventional ATX cases.

But I have to imagine you've done this sort of thing before and know how to avoid that :)

I'm not sure about 64GB of DDR4 for Matisse on the board although I did see some 32GB sticks on the QVL for Renoir APU's on the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arbër1041
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Just a bit of personal experience in relation to the AB350-ITX version of this mobo. I have no idea what, if any, changes were made to power delivery in regard to this motherboard.
I liked the original Fatality board enough that I purchased two of them. My first one was on a 1300. I upgraded that to a 1700. The second one I purchased was fitted with a 1400. Both of the motherboards performed well on the smaller core count CPU. I had no issue as related to the CPU. The board ran fine with the 1700 on stock settings but was unable to perform any manner of meaningful OC to the CPU while maintaining an XMP profile. I didn't catch on to what the issue was until I attempted a 2700X which was an immediate issue due to heat and shutdown.

I say all that to relate that you are picking one of the biggest, most powerful CPU and expecting what is basically a middle of the road motherboard to supply it to the level of performance it is capable of. It is likely going to work, but well, I am not sure that will be the case.

Reactions: Arbër1041
Dec 11, 2021
Just a bit of personal experience in relation to the AB350-ITX version of this mobo. I have no idea what, if any, changes were made to power delivery in regard to this motherboard.
I liked the original Fatality board enough that I purchased two of them. My first one was on a 1300. I upgraded that to a 1700. The second one I purchased was fitted with a 1400. Both of the motherboards performed well on the smaller core count CPU. I had no issue as related to the CPU. The board ran fine with the 1700 on stock settings but was unable to perform any manner of meaningful OC to the CPU while maintaining an XMP profile. I didn't catch on to what the issue was until I attempted a 2700X which was an immediate issue due to heat and shutdown.

I say all that to relate that you are picking one of the biggest, most powerful CPU and expecting what is basically a middle of the road motherboard to supply it to the level of performance it is capable of. It is likely going to work, but well, I am not sure that will be the case.
Yeah I'd rather buy a 180$ board and a 5950x than buy a 350$ board and a ryzen 7 with only 8 cores :(
If it comes to thermal instability I might include a vrm waterblock in the loop as well!

Yeah I'd rather buy a 180$ board and a 5950x than buy a 350$ board and a ryzen 7 with only 8 cores :(
If it comes to thermal instability I might include a vrm waterblock in the loop as well!
The beauty of Ryzen CPU's is they are very tolerant of voltage instability if left in a stock operating mode...they dither voltage constantly over very wide swings anyway as part of their operation. It's only when trying to overclock in the traditional fixed clock/fixed voltage that they need ultra stable, low voltage. And for that all you really get is (maybe) slightly better all-core performance and much worse light thread performance.

That board uses 6, 80A power blocks in the CPU VRM. It will certainly have enough juice to operate even a 5950. Keeping them cool is going to be the main problem and if putting a water block on them is an option...well that's gonna be solved for sure!

Dec 11, 2021
The beauty of Ryzen CPU's is they are very tolerant of voltage instability if left in a stock operating mode...the dither voltage constantly over very wide swings anyway as part of their operation. It's only when trying to overclock in the traditional fixed clock/fixed voltage that they need ultra stable, low voltage. And for that all you really get is (maybe) slightly better all-core performance and much worse light thread performance.

That board uses 6, 80A power blocks in the CPU VRM. It will certainly have enough juice to operate even a 5950. Keeping them cool is going to be the main problem and if putting a water block on them is an option...well that's gonna be solved for sure!
Yeah, Seve from Gamers Nexus in one of his vids stated that as long as there is at least a 40mmx40mm fan on top blowing air directly at it there should be no problems, also I have no intentions on overclocking so I might be good.