[SOLVED] Can bad RAM corrupt all my torrent downloads ?

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
hello, i am a french Canadian living in the Philippines... and i bought a tower and monitor set for a hard to believe price.. it came with Windows 10 on a chinese 256gb ssd...... i connected a usb 500gb hdd and a 2tb hdd by usb.. and every torrent i download (nothing less than 30gb) is corrupted.. i wont say what i downloaded.. but rest assured i wont be breaking any laws here....(republic countries frighten me).....i thought it was windows 10 so i installed manjaro linux... but i cant even format my 2tb hdd....what is going on ? bad chinese RAM ?

PS: I should add that i am now using ANOTHER chinese ssd called Ramsta at 128gb to run manjaro.. i was previously having issues with bad ground and i thought i damaged all my data..

https://ibb.co/k3FCytS

Yes bad memory can and will corrupt hard drives and downloads.
Your download first goes to memory, then it is decompressed and written back to memory and then moved to hard drive/ssd/nvme.
So1 or 2 passes through memory can corrupt the download.
Download memtest86 as a bootable USB and let it run 4 passes or overnight.
The only result you want is no errors.

Reactions: Grobe

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
Yes bad memory can and will corrupt hard drives and downloads.
Your download first goes to memory, then it is decompressed and written back to memory and then moved to hard drive/ssd/nvme.
So1 or 2 passes through memory can corrupt the download.
Download memtest86 as a bootable USB and let it run 4 passes or overnight.
The only result you want is no errors.
okay... flashing my usb stick with memtest86 and i will run... 4 passes... lucky for me... its currently 2200h

merci, thank you, will advise you on the outcome

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
1 further question if i dont sound rude which is difficult for a Quebecer... if you suspect the ram is bad.. would that prevent me from formatting the 2tb usb hdd ? (please refer to the first link)

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
I would suspect the torrent and the site if the PC is otherwise working property and passing memtest and so on. Those type of sites are a great way to give your PC an "STD".
all external hdd that were plugged into the pc all have corrupted sectors.. even if i copy a game from my functional fujitsu laptop onto them.. they refuse to install... the 2 external usb hdd.. bad.. the 256gb ssd that it came with... bad.. i honestly feel that the avr that i ordered alongside the pc was faulty.. i even got shocks touching the case... touching any usb cable connected to it....shocks... the 3rd plug prong is just not a thing in this country... all the outlets in my condo here have only 2 prong socket....*sigh* different country.. different world....

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
oh... if i didnt mention it earlier.. electricity in Philippines is classified as "dirty" because of the amount of static in the power lines.. so computer users must use a device called an AVR.. i think it means automatic voltage regulator.. but im no electrician so... i of course could be wrong....

ragez0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2012
hello from Philippines.. good evening, just wanted to update my situation... ive removed the 8gb of ram stick (dimm ??) and replaced it with 16gb ram.. ddr3.. and not a single BSOD since duct taping those sticks to the mobo.... ??? kidding of course....

i have here a speccy stat report if you feel like indulging yourself on my level of awesomeness....
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pnXHG6kemnnF03ZufsioxKR

merci, thank you, and salamat for good measure....