Can bent CPU pins cause hard freezes?

BansheeL

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I was installing a CPU (FX 6100) and out of box some pins were bent. Knowing that I probably can't get an exchange, I straightened them and popped it in.

Now I keep have RAM/DIMM problems (probably unrelated) and random but often hard freezes. No BSOD, just a completely frozen PC. The fans and lights stay on though. I can be doing anything from browsing to gaming, the freezes are unrelated to high resource programs.

So - any chance this could be related to those bent pins? I know the problem is probably quite complex, I'm just trying to narrow things down.

I managed to run Prime 95 for about 20 minutes, with the heat staying below 62 C. Stopped the program for unrelated stuff demanding my attention, so the CPU does work. Skyrim runs great maxed out too.

Thanks.

Solution
you should not have tried to install it. there was a good chance of getting it replaced, however now that you have installed it there is nothing you can do but buy another.

BansheeL

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013

True, I should have done that. I can handle the cost of a new CPU (and possibly a new MB if necessary), I'm just trying to figure out if that really is the problem.

Jason Howard

Honorable
May 13, 2013
well ive never installed a cpu with bent pins but more than likely it is the source of your problem.the mobo should still be alright unless something got shorted out. wish you the best of luck with this issue and hope you can fix it soon.