[SOLVED] Can Bios update make support for higher frequency ram

Jan 4, 2019
X470 motherboards are given support of PCIe 4.0, CAN BIOS Update(a new one) also increase the memory frequency from 3466 to 3600 or higher.

Solution
Thanks for your reply, I want to build with a r5 3600. And like to have the best performance out of it.
PCIe 4.0 on 400 series MBs is questionable, even if it was enabled it's not going to be as good as on 500 chipsets because it will be able to use PCIe 4.0 only from CPU and not the chipset part and may be hampered by motherboard topology. Even very fast NVMe drives are not that much faster in normal usage.
X470 motherboards are given support of PCIe 4.0, CAN BIOS Update(a new one) also increase the memory frequency from 3466 to 3600 or higher.
Bios alone can't do that, much depends on CPU and it's IMC but a proper BIOS will also update AGESA code on which a lot of memory depends. Most of it depends on RAM itself. My 3600MHz is running fine at that speed on last few BIOS versions on Asus Prime x470 Pro and I have seen some RAM running at 4000+. on same setup with 2700x.

Reactions: imtiazlumia520
Jan 4, 2019
Bios alone can't do that, much depends on CPU and it's IMC but a proper BIOS will also update AGESA code on which a lot of memory depends. Most of it depends on RAM itself. My 3600MHz is running fine at that speed on last few BIOS versions on Asus Prime x470 Pro and I have seen some RAM running at 4000+. on same setup with 2700x.
Thanks for your reply, I want to build with a r5 3600. And like to have the best performance out of it.

PCIe 4.0 on 400 series MBs is questionable, even if it was enabled it's not going to be as good as on 500 chipsets because it will be able to use PCIe 4.0 only from CPU and not the chipset part and may be hampered by motherboard topology. Even very fast NVMe drives are not that much faster in normal usage.

Solution