Can changing fan on a laptop increase the rpm of the fan?

Seaboss

Reputable
Dec 6, 2015
i have a laptop that has lowered in fan speed when set it max speed. Ive noticed this over a week. Not sure whats going on its not even dusty. My computer overall is not underperforming or noticable decrease. But it worries me that my fan will stop one day and i will require a replacememt. My laptop has a dual fan setup and they both do not have the same speed anymore. They both work at different speed when set to the max. Can replacing the fans fix this issue or does this rely on the motherboard?

I would like to add that the speed its suppose to fun is 3.9k rpm on both of my fans. Howver now i am getting 3.6krpm on one and the other runs at 3.4krpm

Solution
Normally the fans kick in(and at different speeds) if the system detects that it's necessary. On gaming laptops there's bundled apps that allow you further control of the fans(some even with buttons on the laptop itself to change fan speed).

For them to be running at different speeds only means that either the CPU or GPU is getting hotter then the other.

Depending on what model laptop you have, manufacturers will use the same fan for different models. If it comes down to needing a replacement, usually you just get the part # off of the fan itself and do a search for the part that way(ebay is a common place). Although they generally just make a certain type for your laptop. There's no performance aftermarket laptop fans(at least none...

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Normally the fans kick in(and at different speeds) if the system detects that it's necessary. On gaming laptops there's bundled apps that allow you further control of the fans(some even with buttons on the laptop itself to change fan speed).

For them to be running at different speeds only means that either the CPU or GPU is getting hotter then the other.

Depending on what model laptop you have, manufacturers will use the same fan for different models. If it comes down to needing a replacement, usually you just get the part # off of the fan itself and do a search for the part that way(ebay is a common place). Although they generally just make a certain type for your laptop. There's no performance aftermarket laptop fans(at least none that I've seen).

Oh and depending on the age of the laptop(and usage), the "cheap" thermal paste they put on most usually breaks down after awhile. If you're going to go through the trouble of opening the thing up and getting to the fan, you may as well replace the thermal paste with something higher quality(arctic silver or grizzly kryonaut). The better the thermal paste, the less the fan will have to kick in and the longer it will last.

Solution

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Since your computer overall is not underperforming nor shows any noticeable decrease in responsiveness, do not do anything. Just monitor your fans in case you may experience further RPMs decrease.

Congratulations. You have same performance with less noise on your laptop.

TRENDING THREADS