Question can coil whine be caused by this?

Feb 17, 2023
Just finished my build.

Corsair HX1000i
Gigabyte z690 DDR5 Ultra
Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming

Everything's beautifully quiet despite 10 NZXT RGB fans spinning away, but that all changes when I fire up a game. The coil whine is VERY distracting and annoying. Presumably it's coming from the GPU.

My question is this:

I've read that the Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming is among the LEAST offending when it comes to coil whine. The Corsair HX1000i only came with 3 PCI-E cables, but I read that it's perfectly fine to connect two PCI-E connectors present on a single cable into the 12VHPWR. Could this compromise be causing the coil whine in any way you think?

Feb 17, 2023
Coil whine can occur on modern gpu's.
I've got a system with a 2080 and a 3080 with no noticeable whine. This one is so loud it sounded at first like electric distortion coming out of my speakers or something. Never experienced anything like this in all my years of building.

Just trying to figure out if this could in any way be related to running the PCI-E cables the way I did. Obviously never had a card with 4 PCI-E plug-ins like this before.

Just finished my build.

Corsair HX1000i
Gigabyte z690 DDR5 Ultra
Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming

Everything's beautifully quiet despite 10 NZXT RGB fans spinning away, but that all changes when I fire up a game. The coil whine is VERY distracting and annoying. Presumably it's coming from the GPU.

My question is this:

I've read that the Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming is among the LEAST offending when it comes to coil whine. The Corsair HX1000i only came with 3 PCI-E cables, but I read that it's perfectly fine to connect two PCI-E connectors present on a single cable into the 12VHPWR. Could this compromise be causing the coil whine in any way you think?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming have a 16-pin to 4x 8-pin PCI-e power connectors?
Coil whine could be caused by many factors.
If a GPU is not getting enough power or a lot of power it is passing through some areas it could cause them to vibrate rapidly from the power surge, which could translate into the coil whine sound.

If you are running games at extremely high framerates, try capping the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor.

Enabling V-Sync or G-Sync could also help.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming have a 16-pin to 4x 8-pin PCI-e power connectors?
Coil whine could be caused by many factors.
If a GPU is not getting enough power or a lot of power it is passing through some areas it could cause them to vibrate rapidly from the power surge, which could translate into the coil whine sound.

If you are running games at extremely high framerates, try capping the FPS to the refresh rate of the monitor.

Enabling V-Sync or G-Sync could also help.

You're correct. To clarify, because there were only 3 PCI-E that came with the PSU, but each had 2 plugs on a single line, I plugged both on one cable into 2 of the 8 pin hubs on the 16-pin cable.

I'll play around with things and see if I can cut down the whine. 1000w platinum plus PSU should be more than adequate for this build.

Spending $3000+ I wasn't expecting such an out and out noise like this.

Last edited:
You're correct. To clarify, because there were only 3 PCI-E that came with the PSU, but each had 2 plugs on a single line, I plugged both on one cable into 2 of the 8 pin hubs on the 16-pin cable.

I'll play around with things and see if I can cut down the whine. 1000w platinum plus PSU should be more than adequate for this build.

Spending $3000+ I wasn't expecting such an out and out noise like this.
The 16-pin cable to 4x PCIe 8-pin (12VHPWR) is rated for up to 600 W of power draw and the Gigabyte 4090 OC Gaming could run with just three 8-pins from the PSU.

Have you tried switching from the default OC BIOS to the silent BIOS, and see if that helps with the coil whine noise.

I have configured the Corsair HX1000i (blue & black) and it has 6x CPU/PCI-e power connections.
If you use 2 connectors for the CPU then you have 4 connectors available.
I did use all the 4x PCIe 8-pin connectors with a CableMod 12VHPWR to 4x PCIe 8-pin...that way I could provide all 600W to the GPU.

Just to be clear coil whine can come from PSUs, GPUs, motherboards, powerstrips / surge protector's / UPS's, and most other electronics. To narrow down exactly what device it is coming from. 1 - Take a piece of paper and roll it into a cylinder. 2 - place it on your ear and point it to potentially coil whine producing electronics. This will help narrow down where exactly the sound is coming from so you know what your culprit is

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
High FPS output is also associated with GPU coil whine. Try capping your FPS to see if it goes away, that will help you narrow it down.

When I had a GTX980, I had to limit World of Warcraft to 60 FPS otherwise I would get the worst coil whine, even bled over into my outgoing voice comms (ended up getting a sound card as well)

Never really had issues with my GTX1080, at least that I noticed.

3080Ti on the other hand, screams when the FPS isn't limited. I had a few games where the menus would run at ludicrous FPS (despite G-Sync being on) and it was quite audible. Luckily a few patches took care of that. Really bad coil whine can also be a symptom of using water blocks. No fans or heatsinks to muffle it, just a block of metal and acrylic.

Still has coil whine on just the windows desktop, when the mouse moves. A feature that is shared with my Dell laptop with an Nvidia MX350. That appears to come with the territory of a higher polling rate mouse.