[SOLVED] Can Connect Through Wifi Extender, but not Router

May 12, 2021
Hello! As the title says, my PC can only connect to the internet via the range extender, but not the actual router. For context, I have just moved into a house with a few friends, most of which have lived here for a while, and none of which know much about computers. The wifi is pretty basic, with the original name from the ISP, and both a 2G and 5G channel. However, there is a range extender plugged into the living room, and you connect to it separately, so there are four networks showing. I can connect to the range extender perfectly fine, and it all works normally, but when I attempt to connect to the router it says, "Connected, no Internet." I've tried everything to see if it is my network adapter, including resetting drivers and resetting all internet settings as a whole, but none of this works. Digging a little deeper, when I do ipconfig /all on the router connection, it doesn't display a default gateway, and I cannot connect to the default gateway from that network. When I connect to the default gateway through the extender, I tried to make sure that my computer wasn't blacklisted for some reason, tried to enact a policy which gives my computer the highest priority, and even tried setting a static IP for my pc through the router, but none of that worked. I also tried it through the default gateway with my phone connected to the router directly, to the same results. I have a pretty limited knowledge about computers, and this is really throwing me through a loop. I will try to include screenshots of my ipconfig through the extender and through the router, if that helps. I have not hard reset the router, but I have powered it on and off many times. If I can get my roommates to approve, I will try to hard reset the router tomorrow.

Thanks so much,
Scott
right_fin.jpg

wrong_fin.JPG

Solution
I have an Ethernet cord coming in the mail, but I'm not sure my roommate wants me to run it, since the router is in his room. Also, the extender is quite far away from my computer, so it's very slow.
Ethernet cables are available even at the grocery store now--just pick one up locally and run it to the router for testing. If you can't get connected that way, then there's potentially a problem with your system.
May 12, 2021
I have an Ethernet cord coming in the mail, but I'm not sure my roommate wants me to run it, since the router is in his room. Also, the extender is quite far away from my computer, so it's very slow.

Ethernet cables are available even at the grocery store now--just pick one up locally and run it to the router for testing. If you can't get connected that way, then there's potentially a problem with your system.

Solution