[SOLVED] Can different PSU power cables be used on another PSU?

Sep 11, 2022
Hi,

I'm trying to sell an old office PC but CEX wants power cable because they don't have one themselves to test it.

The PC didn't come with its original cable when I first brought it. I was wondering if I can use my old 650 Watt PSU Power Cable for the PSU or will that fry the components. I have searched it up but answers appear to be mix.

The PC that I'm selling has OEM PSU with lower watts. It runs perfectly when I tested it myself but not sure if it is safe in the long term.

Thank You.

Solution
I'm trying to sell an old office PC but CEX wants power cable because they don't have one themselves to test it.
The PC didn't come with its original cable when I first brought it. I was wondering if I can use my old 650 Watt PSU Power Cable for the PSU or will that fry the components. I have searched it up but answers appear to be mix.
The PC that I'm selling has OEM PSU with lower watts. It runs perfectly when I tested it myself but not sure if it is safe in the long term.
What cable are you talking about?
Modular cables inside pc?
Or power cable from PSU to socket?

Modular cables are not interchangeable between models.
PSU power cable (to power socket) - those are universal. All are the same (in the same region).
Sep 11, 2022
Hey there,

No, the advice is to never do that. Not all cables are made the same. Ideally you should only use the ones from the PSU (as bought new). Mixing them even from the same manufacturer (but different PSU line) can be problematic.
Will the user be in any danger if they use a different PSU power cord/cable that was not original?

This is because I have been using a different power cable myself on my main PC because the original wasn't long enough. However, I do not want to pose any harm to the future user of the office PC.

Edit: I would like to clarify that the cable in question is the Power Cord used to connect to the power outlet, not the cable for the motherboard.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

USAFRet

Titan
Can different PSU power cables be used on another PSU?
No.

Except in very certain circumstances, PSU cables are NOT universally compatible or interchangeable.

Those 'certain circumstances' might be 2 different models in the same model line, from the same manufacturer.
And only if the manufacturer states this compatibility, in writing.

USAFRet

Titan
Will the user be in any danger if they use a different PSU power cord/cable that was not original?

This is because I have been using a different power cable myself on my main PC because the original wasn't long enough. However, I do not want to pose any harm to the future user of the office PC.
Different cables can and often do cause power issues, to the point of killing whatever components are attached.

Do not do this.

PSU power cable (to power socket) - those are universal. All are the same (in the same region).

Reactions: Summer101
Solution
Sep 11, 2022

Hi,

I think I wrote the wrong information. I meant power cable as in the power cord used to plug into the wall outlet and give power to the PSU, not the cables inside the PC to connect components. Will this make a different?

Edit: Oh I see, I just read the last part of your message. Thank You!

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Edit: I would like to clarify that the cable in question is the Power Cord used to connect to the power outlet, not the cable for the motherboard.
As others have since replied. This is perfeclty fine.

Reactions: Summer101