Question Can Different Ranks Cause RAM Problems?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I've been on the RAM-train for several weeks now. Trying different things, some worked, some didn't. One thing I found was a very weird quirk about this pre-built ROG desktop. It ONLY likes the RAM sticks that came pre-installed for some reason (made by Micron). Don't ask me why. But anytime I try and swap out compatible sticks of the same confirmed compatibility (bought in pairs or just single sticks), it always generates some kind of issue. They will load, but not work exactly right. And I have tripled checked they are exactly the same specs as what came pre-built. So it's something about these particular sticks paired with this motherboard I guess (which admittedly, is a lower-end quality). I'm sure in a better board, I'd not have these headaches.

I checked in CPU-Z, and I see the original sticks are listed as dual rank, but the new ones I buy (that are 32GB in pairs of 2x16) read as single. Even if they say dual on the product specs.

I can't seem to find any way of knowing online what the ranks are before I buy. And having one set of single and one set of dual are stopping my DOCP load for full speeds. And I have to keep the original two in the system, because...reasons. I've tried everything else, and removing these FUBARs things. Again...hair pulling I know...but true for some reason.

Also, here is the original sticks, I'm refereeing to (which seem to be out of print): tlzgd416g3200hc16fbk 16gb ddr4 3200 cl16-20-20-40 1.35v

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Refer to the motherboard's User Guide with regards to supported RAM and supported RAM configurations.

The User Manual will likely include some warning/suggestion that you go to the manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific slot - likely to be DIMMA2.

Regarding "dual rank": look for "dual channel". There may be some word games being played....

You need a matched set of modules for dual channel use.