[SOLVED] Can extra dram cause window blue crash screen

Aug 21, 2020
Just got a new skytech pc, with 16gb of ram. I do some data science type work so I like to have 32. I bought the same manufacturer ram, almost exact same specifications but with the extra 2 sticks of ram installed I cant run windows for more than a few minutes without crashing/blue screen of death. Motherboard is Asus B450M-A

Trying to see how long original build stays up running (though I'm not actively using it) but it seems more stable.

Original ram installed:
Oloy (micron)
8GB 3000Mhz C16
PC4 24000 16-18-18-36
U-DIMM 1.35V 023N
MD4U083016BBTC
Serial # 4897099-131670

Extra Ram added
Oloy (micron)
8GB 3000Mhz C16
PC4 24000 16-18-18-36
U-DIMM 1.35V 031A
MD4U083016BBTC
Serial # 4897099-133506

Also is there anyway to trouble shoot this. I did a windows memory diagnostic (when I had 32/4 slots working ok) and it came out fine.

Solution
Mixing RAM sticks from unmatched sets occasionally works, but, it is less likely to when running 4 sticks, and even more less likely when running at higher XMP speeds, and, even less likely to work when combining the two factors on Ryzen CPUs

Buying a 32 GB kit (with a pair of matched /tested 16 GB sticks) from an approved/tested kit listed as tested/validated in your mainboard is the best option...
Aug 21, 2020
could you try only the new ram in for test .
yep that is what I am doing now. Just have the PC running with chrome open (not really using it as i cant trust it)

hastn crashed in a few hours, unlike when I added the extra sticks of ram in it was crashing every 30mins or so.

Not sure how to really 'test' the ram. Windows memory diagnostic came back fine with and without extra ram installed.

Aug 21, 2020
ok try this put one of the new in and one old in the same channel reset bios and bot then see what happens .
ok try this put one of the new in and one old in the same channel reset bios and bot then see what happens .

sorry noob question. how would I re-set the bios? i thought with RAM you dont need to do anything with the bios (as it is usually just picked up).

fwiw I did not change anything with bios when I added the 2 extra sticks in, was that a mistake

Mixing RAM sticks from unmatched sets occasionally works, but, it is less likely to when running 4 sticks, and even more less likely when running at higher XMP speeds, and, even less likely to work when combining the two factors on Ryzen CPUs

Buying a 32 GB kit (with a pair of matched /tested 16 GB sticks) from an approved/tested kit listed as tested/validated in your mainboard is the best option...

Solution