Question Can filling an SSD up too much cause games to lag?

May 15, 2023
I have 2 SSDs in 2 different machines. They are either nvme's or m2's, Im not sure which.

Both of these drives have at one point been filled up almost all of the way, mostly with vidoes, but since then Ive backed them up, cleaned them with diskpart, and reinstalled Windows onto them. (They were both used as C drives for Windows) I'm wondering if they could be damaged from being filled up too high? The only problem Im experiencing right now is I have a game that lags online. It's more of a jitter or stutter than lag, but it happens on both machines and on 2 different ISPs! The only thing I havent really tried is buying a new SSD. I'm wondering if maybe them being filled up too high could have damaged them and is causing this problem.

A couple months ago I did download a program to test the drives' health and they both passed (I forget what program it was, Intel maybe).

Either way I was just hoping for some input before I go out and buy another drive.

Thanks

May 15, 2023
What is the maximum capacity of these 2 drives?

How many GB of data is on each of these drives as of right now?

The drives are likely 2.5 inch SSDs or M.2 SSDs. You can easily tell on sight.
The one in my main PC is 1tb and is roughly half way full at the moment, about 600gbs. but like I said, in the past it did get almost entirely full (in the red).

Im looking up photos of nvmes and m2s and they look the same to me but mine is rectangular, slides into the mobo, then you hold it down and one small Philips head screw secures it.

May 15, 2023
Normally your status bar on the drive will be blue when Windows thinks the drive space is good. It will turn red when too full.
Mine isnt full now, but it was in the past. It was in the "red". Im just wondering if, despite it not being full now, if that could have caused problems.

The one in my main PC is 1tb and is roughly half way full at the moment, about 600gbs. but like I said, in the past it did get almost entirely full (in the red).

Im looking up photos of nvmes and m2s and they look the same to me but mine is rectangular, slides into the mobo, then you hold it down and one small Philips head screw secures it.
Confusion.

"nvmes" and "m2s" do look alike.

The visible distinction among SSDs is typically between 2.5 inch and "m2".

M.2 drives approximate the width of a common stick of gum. Length can vary, but 80mm ( a little over 3 inches) is by far the most common in a desktop PC.

2.5 inch drives are noticeably larger, closer to a pack of cigarettes.

Some M.2 drives are also "NVMe". Only some. The others are "SATA".

2.5 inch drives are "SATA".

How much space was used on these drives in the past isn't likely to be an issue.

How much space is occupied NOW might matter.

One of yours is half full. That shouldn't matter at all.

You haven't stated the occupied space on the other.

May 15, 2023
An SSD that gets too full (around 90% of the usable capacity) can cause performance issues, but it typically only affects writes.

The reason is because the SSD uses free space for housekeeping, due to he way flash memory works.
Ok yeah theyre m2s based off that description.

The other one is also an M2 and is 250gb. That pc doesnt have a psu in it at the moment so im not sure how much space is on that drive. It only has win 11 installed and no "windows.old" folder or any personal files or games or anything. I did a clean install and formatted the drive before.

But it sounds like my problem isnt due to my drives based on what everyone is saying. I made another post last week detailing the specific problem Im experiencing.

Thanks for your help