[SOLVED] Can he get away with this? Using Security Software rather than upgrade to Win 10

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
My brother currently can't afford to upgrade to Win10. Is it possible that he could get away with it by purchasing something like McAffee or Norton and still not have any issues with security and viruses?

Thanks in advance

Solution
it would be safer to run windows 10 unactivated.
he can download and install windows without a license for extended periods, watermark, black desktop, but otherwise functional and secure.
he can then purchase a key for windows at his leisure.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
he can download and install windows without a license for extended periods, watermark, black desktop, but otherwise functional and secure.

Solution

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Okay, can you download that from the Microsoft website?

ibanezrg82

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Thanks, after following the link I realized I had upgraded his computer to Win10 in the past, and from the link it says you don't need to purchase a license if you upgraded in the past (few years ago when they offered the free upgrade) - he bought the computer from me
However I had to revert back to 7 since my hard drive started to go - and swap out an older one with my win7 license that came with the PC. In fact I may have at least 3 licenses now that I think of it. Two purchased PCs since then both with Win 10, not exactly sure how to access the old licenses, is there anything I need to know?
Thanks