Question Can hear myself but not programs

TigerTek

Commendable
May 24, 2019
Let me start off by explaining what happened yesterday... it began by me not having sound only in one of my programs which was easy enough to fix as I just had to start another version of it and somehow that had worked, so not complaining about that... then it progressed onto the task manager being blank and not being able to open google chrome. Since I had some backups in system restore I decided to do that. It kept telling me an antivirus was blocking it even though I had disabled both malwarebytes AND windows defender completely. I saw a tutorial on youtube which idiotically told me to go into safe mode from msconfig - which I know now NEVER to do - and caused me to ultimately be kinda forever stuck in safe mode. For hours I was scouring the internet for a solution, desperately trying to get back out of safemode, restarting my pc countless times, when finally, both my monitors froze up and had this weird pixelated glitch on them. Then I had the error "critical process died" and was now stuck in a boot loop. Uh oh. I then spent a total of 5 hours (not joking) again, scouring the internet for solutions to this error but to no avail. When all hope had been lost, I found this forum talking about how you can do a system restore from cmd with just commands and I was like, why not - I've got nothing to lose at this point, except for my sanity, tried the 3 commands and... hey whad'ya know, it actually worked! I'm still very pissed off though as now I'm back to square one and all those hours of work and stress were for nothing... anyway, back to the current issue, task manager is still blank, google chrome somehow miraculously started working again but all sounds from programs aren't even though I can still hear myself. I've tried reinstalling drivers, disabling and re enabling them, changing the frequency, basically anything obvious you can think of... Please anyone provide me with suggestions on what I can do while still keeping my files as I don't really wanna reset my whole pc once again :/

First, did you know you could go back to msconfig in safe mode and choose the Normal startup radial button which will restart your PC and boot and you back to normal windows? Anyway, first choose a "Restart" from standard Windows to clear your RAM. Next run chkdsk /r from an admin command prompt; the command prompt will tell you it can't run chkdks from windows, and asks if you want to run chkdsk on your next startup and type y for yes and press enter, than do another restart; advise if chkdsk completes and if any repairs were necessary. Next go back to an admin command prompt and type sfc scannow" and again advise if it completes and if any repair were necessary.

Last edited:

TigerTek

Commendable
May 24, 2019
First, did you know you could go back to msconfig in safe mode and choose the Normal startup radial button which will restart your PC and boot and you back to normal windows? Anyway, first choose a "Restart" from standard Windows to clear your RAM. Next run chkdsk /r from an admin command prompt; the command prompt will tell you it can't run chkdks from windows, and asks if you want to run chkdsk on your next startup and type y for yes and press enter, than do another restart; advise if chkdsk completes and if any repairs were necessary. Next go back to an admin command prompt and type sfc scannow" and again advise if it completes and if any repair were necessary.
Yes of course, what I mean by stuck in safemode is that everytime I would choose normal startup it would go back to safemode / selective startup...

TigerTek

Commendable
May 24, 2019
Also forgot to mention that some programs don't even work anymore as in, when I try to open them, there are these weird erros so I'm guessing they're corrupted or something...

Okay, back to trying a system restore. One issue with system restore is by default Windows 10 turns it off. To configure System restore, go to the Control Panel>Settings>System protection and see if System protection has been turned on for your C: drive. Unless it has been turned on and configured, the restore points are only bookmarks with no ability to do any restores. Malwarebytes is renown for blocking system restore and requires you to do more than just turning off it's services. Open up the the Malwarebytes program windows, and turn off the services. Next click on settings and then the protection tab, scroll down to "Enable self protection module" and click it off. Back out of Malwarebytes and try a system restore.

If this doesn't work, I would do a System reset which hopefully will solve your problems.

TigerTek

Commendable
May 24, 2019
Okay, back to trying a system restore. One issue with system restore is by default Windows 10 turns it off. To configure System restore, go to the Control Panel>Settings>System protection and see if System protection has been turned on for your C: drive. Unless it has been turned on and configured, the restore points are only bookmarks with no ability to do any restores. Malwarebytes is renown for blocking system restore and requires you to do more than just turning off it's services. Open up the the Malwarebytes program windows, and turn off the services. Next click on settings and then the protection tab, scroll down to "Enable self protection module" and click it off. Back out of Malwarebytes and try a system restore.

If this doesn't work, I would do a System reset which hopefully will solve your problems.
I already know system restore is not off because I was there plenty of times trying to get the system restore that I wanted to work (some worked and some didn't) and everytime I picked one it would delete itself after the error I got when trying to restore from it, and I read up on this and apparently they were corrupted... So my main issues now are just to fix the sound, task manager and programs not working which I think will be even more of a headache than just doing a windows image restore I saved months ago on my external drive. But before that I wanted to see if there were any other options for me in store before just completely wiping out my pc again and restoring an old version of it. Thankfully the new 2tb drive I ordered is coming tomorrow so I'll be able to store everything on that before I restore my pc and not have to worry about any of my new files being lost or forgotten which is the main reason why I waited so long to act on this and to see if there were any other options for me - not having enough space on my current 1tb external drive.