[SOLVED] can Hyper 212 EVO works without Fan?!

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi
I wonder I have in my desktop a very big Heatsink the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

and I like silent no fan Heatsinks so can I try to remove the CPU fan and leave only the Heatsink alone to cool the CPU?! anybody tried it?

cooler-master-hyper-212-led-review-test-hw4all.com-05.jpg

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi
My Case has 2 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan

CPU: Intel i7-3770K
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB CML16GX3M2A1600C9
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
HDD:Seagate 1TB Desktop SSHD
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD4H
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W Bronze

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hi
I wonder I have in my desktop a very big Heatsink the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
That's not a very big heatsink. Even at 160mm it's only tall, but still not big.

At 180mm x 180mm this is a very big passive heatsink (the hyper212 heatsink will actually fit inside it with room to spare), and it's still only 95w TDP. The hyper212 with fan is 140w TDP. The fan makes a huge difference in ability.

Reactions: sonah

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hyper 212 would not have been the cooler of choice if you wanted a good, silent cooler. You need something much larger with slow moving fans like the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 or the Noctua NH-D15.

Hyper 212 uses a fast(er) spinning 120mm fan.

My guess would be that cooler price was the primary reason it was purchased, but you want it to perform like a cooler 3x the cost.

StarCry

Honorable
Dec 29, 2015
Rather than removing the fans entirely, invest in some quieter fans. You can get two ML120s for about £20 on Amazon and run it in push/pull. They're quiet and good performance, especially for the cost. Other good options would be Silent Wings fans or Noctua, both high quality and low noise fans.

Replacing case fans is also a good option for reducing noise and possibly reducing temps depending on the quality of the fans you already have installed.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
[UPDATE!]
OMG! I removed the Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan I thought the Bios will Auto Shutdown the PC quick! but Windows10 started work OK with no problem
I run chrome with about 80 Taps opened! and I watch Youtube videos there is no BSOD
Her is ScreenShot for [Core Temp] Before and After removing the CPU Fan

Before:
000.png

After:
22222.png

[Shocking image!] Her is an image for the Heatsink I know Fill with dust but I am in Desert country Kuwait!
cpu11.jpg

sonah

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2012
Hi remixislandmusic

Sorry about the dusty heatsink I Clean it with air blower and Air Duster
then I used [CPUID CPU-Z] to Stress the CPU Intel i7-3770K :mad:
and I get 75°C temperature! in [Core Temp] :oops:
Core-Temp-Scr.png

The Heatsink Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO after I Clean it
cpu.jpg

I think a will Reinstall new CPU Fan I don't like the 75°C .. will it Damage my PC?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Wow, yeah...one of my buddies was stationed over there. When they packed up and came home a BEVY of equipment came back with, even more just left behind. All of the optical drives were shot. Probably 60% fail rate on the HDD that came back. Many of the "daughter" cards that came back were so covered in sand/dust/crud that they also had high fail rates. It was a brutal enviro for computer components, even aside from the summertime temps.

I would imagine that if you are seeing CPU temps like that without a cooler that you have exceptional home AC unit working hard.

I would put a fan on it regardless.
If a fan is running at say 700 rpm it will be all but inaudible.
Your front/rear fans will likely be the noise makers.

I am surprised your setup worked, many motherboards will not start unless the fan header detects a connected fan at 500 rpm.

Reactions: sonah