[SOLVED] Can I add a 8GB ram stick next to two 16 GB ram sticks?

MoeNAGY

BANNED
Apr 12, 2021
Hi there, I have MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI ATX which has FOUR memory slots. I already have TWO CORSAIR 16GB DDR4/3200 VENGEANCE RGB intstalled on the MB which makes 32GB total.
Question is: I have 1 more 8GB DDR4/3200MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB, Can I add this 1 additional 8GB RAM stick next to the other 2 16GB to total 40GB of RAM?
Same brand / same speed and frequency .. is that doable?

Solution
If you already have the module, sure I'd try it. As mentioned, dual channel access probably won't work for the new memory, but 40GB>32GB when you need more memory.
You can be guaranteed that if dual channel is used, then this will fail. If you can live with going single channel, then it might work if the timings are reasonably close. You'd have to try to really know, but there would definitely be a performance hit. I wouldn't recommend it even if the third stick is a matching model/timing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I do not feel it's advisable to do this to a Z chipset, high performance rig.

If this were an office box used to view web pages and a spread sheet I would be more inclined to say why not try. Here, I can only see it hurting performance in various ways.