Can I add another 8GB RAM to my normal 8GB RAM.

Apr 6, 2018
Hey, I really need some help with this type of stuff and don't really want to get it wrong and would really appreciate it.
I've been saving up for a few upgrades for my PC and one of which is upgrading my existing 8GB RAM to 16GB by adding another 8GB to it.
I don't really know how to work with PC's (A friend built this one for me) and have gotten somebody to do these upgrades for me but they told me to give them the parts & what needs doing on the day. My question is that how would I go about getting another 8GB of ram? Is there any specific brand I need to get or can I just give him any 8GB RAM stick?
Sorry if this is a stupid question I really just want to get this right, all replies are greatly appreciated!
thanks - pat

Solution
Since you really want to add (as said noone quarantees this will work,had to say this ;)) could you look at the next,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019X5QIAS/ref=psdc_430511031_t1_B00D6E5L2O
not exactly the same since the other timngs than the cas latency are abit higher. I would put your own set in the first two slots of the motherboard (from the cpu out) and add these in the other two lost,this way you keep the same ram in one channel. Don't know if it really makes a difference,but imo worth doing.

Other choices that might work,but with these you would get another maker are these,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dZbp99,bkNp99,XpTmP6/
i would try the Corsair since they are the same maker and also the cheapest.

Your own ram...

Albrett

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Firstly, you need to determine what kind of RAM it is. Windows task manager should have details about the RAM type and speed. You don't need to get a specific brand, but you will need to get the right type of RAM (DDR3, DDR4, etc). It's also best to get RAM of the same speed, as otherwise the faster RAM stick will have to run at a slower speed.

I assume you've made sure you have spare RAM slots?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
You have to pay attention to the model and specs of your RAM and make sure, if you're adding RAM, that it is one with the same specs, CAS latency etc.

A lot of people upgrade their RAM this way although It's not guaranteed to work, It's just likely to work. To guarantee a working set of 2x8GB RAM is by investing in a paired set of 2x8GB RAM. They're tested to work with each other.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The next might give what ram you have exactly,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "short text report",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons
The last line is only necessary of you want help with finding something like what you have now.

Nothing is stopping you from doing that, however memory manufacturers won't give you any guarantee that it will be compatible with your existing memory.

Adding extra memory may have worked with old systems with small amounts of memory, but with newer 8GB modules chances are not as good. The memory may not be able to operate at rated specifications any longer or the PC may not boot up.

Apr 6, 2018
Computer: GIGABYTE Z97P-D3
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 (Haswell-DT Refresh, C0)
3200 MHz (32.00x100.0) @ 800 MHz (8.00x100.0)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97P-D3
Chipset: Intel Z97
Memory: 8192 MBytes @ 666 MHz, 9-9-9-24
- 4096 MB PC17000 DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CMY8GX3M2A2133C11
- 4096 MB PC17000 DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CMY8GX3M2A2133C11
Graphics: Intel Haswell-DT GT2 - Integrated Graphics Controller [GIGABYTE]
Intel HD Graphics 4600, 2112 MB
Graphics: EVGA e-GeForce GTX 750
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750, 1024 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive: ST1000DM003-1ER162, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB, DVD+R DL
Sound: Intel Haswell - Mini HD Audio Controller
Sound: Intel 9-series Chipset - High Definition Audio Controller [A0]
Sound: NVIDIA GM107 - High Definition Audio Controller
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Network: 150Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n Nano USB Adapter

This is what I have currently, thanks to Vic 40 for telling me how to do that.
Can anybody suggest what I buy to get what I have to 16GB? I'm really clueless and am sorry to keep asking like this but as I said all help is appreciated greatly

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Since you really want to add (as said noone quarantees this will work,had to say this ;)) could you look at the next,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019X5QIAS/ref=psdc_430511031_t1_B00D6E5L2O
not exactly the same since the other timngs than the cas latency are abit higher. I would put your own set in the first two slots of the motherboard (from the cpu out) and add these in the other two lost,this way you keep the same ram in one channel. Don't know if it really makes a difference,but imo worth doing.

Other choices that might work,but with these you would get another maker are these,
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dZbp99,bkNp99,XpTmP6/
i would try the Corsair since they are the same maker and also the cheapest.

Your own ram is this,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMY8GX3M2A2133C11-Vengeance-2133Mhz-Performance/dp/B00D6E5L2O
maybe you can find it used on ebay or similar.

Solution
Apr 6, 2018

I'll order your first suggestion which is the Corsair and hope everything works out, Thanks for your reply I really appreciate it!