[SOLVED] can i add bigger ram to older in PC ?

Jul 29, 2019
i have a gskills ripjaws ddr4 8x1 ram installed in my pc . And now i want more , so i serached for the same ram with same frequency every where , but i am not able to find same thing at same price , and what i found is priced as same as the 16gb ram, so i was thinking that whether i can add 16gb ram with same frequency with my present 8gb same frequency ram ? my current ram - F4-2400C15S-8GVR - 15-15-15-35 , please help.

Solution
Will it work. Probably. No guarantee. Same frequency, same brand, same primary timings, doesn't matter. It's different chips from different batches of silicon on the ram itself, and it'll either work, work with adjustments or not work at all. There's absolutely no way to tell until you put it in your pc.

So is it a good idea? Not really no. A good idea would be replace all the ram with the size you want, from 1 package. That's tested by the factory and guaranteed to work. By adding ram, you are now the tester and could try 100 sticks and not get any to work right.

So your option is:
  1. Buy the additional ram and take your chances that it does work.
  2. Replace all ram at one time, with one new package that's guaranteed to work...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
You can, but it's a gamble.

RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) - regardless as to whether they are the same make / model / timings. Not saying it never works, just it's a 50/50 gamble.

Best practice is to buy a whole new pack as to avoid any potential headache or instability.

Jul 29, 2019
You can, but it's a gamble.

RAM modules are only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack) - regardless as to whether they are the same make / model / timings. Not saying it never works, just it's a 50/50 gamble.

Best practice is to buy a whole new pack as to avoid any potential headache or instability.
whole new pack ? u mean to replace my current ram and buy another sets ???
my ram is G-Skills ripjaws V DDR4 - F4-2400C15S-8GVR - 15-15-15-35 of frequency , and i can best find at good price is G-Skills ripjaws V DDR4 - F4-2400C15S-16GVR - 15-15-15-35 , every thing is same to same ... , so can this work ? and this be a good idea ?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
whole new pack ? u mean to replace my current ram and buy another sets ???
my ram is G-Skills ripjaws V DDR4 - F4-2400C15S-8GVR - 15-15-15-35 of frequency , and i can best find at good price is G-Skills ripjaws V DDR4 - F4-2400C15S-16GVR - 15-15-15-35 , every thing is same to same ... , so can this work ? and this be a good idea ?
Again, as my post stated previously: "regardless as to whether they are the same make / model / timings. "

The problem is the production methods for the RAM modules change all the time, so even though you could have exactly the same model RAM, actually they're components can differ, and therefore compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Making sure timings etc are the same is just a way of minimising the risk. So as I said, it's a 50/50 gamble.

Even if you managed to find and buy the exact same model, it would still be a 50/50 bet because you are mixing modules. RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same pack). No model is the exact same as the manufacturing process changes constantly, so 2 models with the same model number can misbehave.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Will it work. Probably. No guarantee. Same frequency, same brand, same primary timings, doesn't matter. It's different chips from different batches of silicon on the ram itself, and it'll either work, work with adjustments or not work at all. There's absolutely no way to tell until you put it in your pc.

So is it a good idea? Not really no. A good idea would be replace all the ram with the size you want, from 1 package. That's tested by the factory and guaranteed to work. By adding ram, you are now the tester and could try 100 sticks and not get any to work right.

So your option is:
  2. Replace all ram at one time, with one new package that's guaranteed to work, sell old ram.

Jul 29, 2019

So your option is:
  2. Replace all ram at one time, with one new package that's guaranteed to work, sell old ram.
thankyou , now i think i understand straight..... :)

Solution
Jul 29, 2019
Again, as my post stated previously: "regardless as to whether they are the same make / model / timings. "

The problem is the production methods for the RAM modules change all the time, so even though you could have exactly the same model RAM, actually they're components can differ, and therefore compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Making sure timings etc are the same is just a way of minimising the risk. So as I said, it's a 50/50 gamble.
thankyou ,