[SOLVED] Can I add more than 4GB RAM alongside my integrated 4GB RAM??

Mar 30, 2020
My laptop came with 4GB integrated RAM, I added 4GB myself and it now uses dual channel mode. I just want to confirm that if I were to replace the 4GB I added, with a 16GB it would not work efficiently or in dual channel mode at all? Even if it's the same RAM type and frequency?

Solution
1. Can you add RAM? Sure, if you laptop has memory slots. As you don't list make and model of laptop. I couldn't say more than that.

2. No, it would not work in dual channel mode if they are not a match. Most of the time you won't notice the difference or the difference is minor. Having enough RAM in single channel is preferable to insufficient RAM in dual channel. Insufficient RAM leads to page filing, page filing kills performance. Therefore if you can make use of more than 8GB RAM. It would make sense to jump to 12GB or 20GB and have a mismatched set.
1. Can you add RAM? Sure, if you laptop has memory slots. As you don't list make and model of laptop. I couldn't say more than that.

2. No, it would not work in dual channel mode if they are not a match. Most of the time you won't notice the difference or the difference is minor. Having enough RAM in single channel is preferable to insufficient RAM in dual channel. Insufficient RAM leads to page filing, page filing kills performance. Therefore if you can make use of more than 8GB RAM. It would make sense to jump to 12GB or 20GB and have a mismatched set.

Solution
Oh well that’s fine then? Haha
Will it have 20GB speed or will there be some drawbacks?

Not as long as it is compatible. You can get the memory from Crucial.com where they guarantee compatibility using their memory configurator. Even compatible RAM has a chance of a non bootable mismatch.

Although a mismatch is usually just a minor speed mismatch. Where they automatically settle on a speed they both work at. This is less a problem with factory RAM. Since it follows JEDEC standard. It's more an issue with custom computers using overclock memory.