[SOLVED] Can I (and if so, how) disable the router capabilities of my ISP provided modem/router combo and use my own router?

Leonel_3

Commendable
May 1, 2017
I have been searching throughout several sites and forums for an answer to this question. But as with every tech scenario, the conditions under which I need to do this are rather specific. I will share the specs of what I have after I describe the situation.

I have an ISP provided modem/router combo that gives me the speed and stability that I'm paying for in my PC, which is connected through Ethernet. On the wireless side, it's a different story. Signal throughout my house (a two-story house with lots of rooms and relatively thick walls) is a serious nightmare. Repositioning the modem/router does not address the problem in every room.

Why not get a range extender, you might ask. Because I have several Google home devices throughout the house, and these are known not to work well with range extenders and Wi-Fi repeaters. I have tried several TP-Link solutions and every single one has had issues that force me to simply return the product because it did not provide a viable solution. No device that I tried gave me a stable connection.

After much thought and consideration, I came to the conclusion that the router capabilities of the ISP provided modem/router that I have are terrible. I can't replace the whole device because I have optic fiber, and my ISP is extremely picky with that. Their customer service told me that it only works with the modem they provide. Good then. I thought, I can disable the router features in that device, and put the router myself; a good, trustworty router that will give me stable connection throughout the whole house. Budget isn't a problem as long as I don't go serious overkill. I can do with something for about $80 USD no problem. Thing is, I need to know exactly what to buy and how to configure it.

I have a Zhone ZNID-GPON-2426-0ax. I have reviewed several devices on Amazon and I could get a Phicomm K3C (to name one of the devices I've seen). But I'm obviously not that experienced when it comes to Networking, so I'm asking for some advise on that front. Is this doable? Does it sound like the right course of action?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Disable the WIFI on the router and purchase multiple WIFI access points. Connect them back to the primary router with ethernet cabling. That is the only way to get quality WIFI signal in a large house with thick walls. No single WIFI source will provide you with what you want, IMO. A "powerful" WIFI source can't help the portable devices transmit BACK to it. Only multiple sets of WIFI sources (and antennas) can provide something for the low power handheld devices to transmit back to reliably.

kanewolf

Titan
Disable the WIFI on the router and purchase multiple WIFI access points. Connect them back to the primary router with ethernet cabling. That is the only way to get quality WIFI signal in a large house with thick walls. No single WIFI source will provide you with what you want, IMO. A "powerful" WIFI source can't help the portable devices transmit BACK to it. Only multiple sets of WIFI sources (and antennas) can provide something for the low power handheld devices to transmit back to reliably.

Solution