Question Can I balance my system with the overclock ?

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hello people,

how are you all doing ? :) long time no see :^)
Well obeusly i have a question to ask and by the name of the topic you could see where im going with this topic. In the past I have already posted on which gpu is best for me to take with the intel processor i have and its been decided to go with the rtx 3060 12 GB. Since i have the unlocked cpu and a Noctua nh-d15 cooling fan with the thermal grizzly thermal paste, would an overclock of 10-20 % make difference and be less of a "bottleneck" for a rtx 3060 to be more balanced system or am i tripping ?

Reminder : What i use my computer for - Mostly for Audio Editing and processing, mixing songs with a lot of plugins and mastering songs in the box, also i from time to time use after effects, photoshop, illustrator and video edit mostly adobe premiere pro but sometimes da vicni resolve as needed, mostly in 1080p and obveusly i sometimes play games. Those games arent that demanding but over time some do get a bit demanding. Titles like Need for Speed, Dying Light and Dying light 2, Dark Souls 2 and 3 mostly, Assasins Creed FRY CRY, ARK Survival Evolved etc. There are also some non demanding games that i play like : Counter Strike GO, Counter Strike 1.6, League of Legends, Lineage 2, Tekken 7 , Raft , PC Building simulator, car mechanic simulator etc.

Thanks !

Specs of my system:

Before

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 Ghz
Noctua NH-D15 Cromax Black
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste
G. Skill Aegis 16GB 3200 Mhz (2133 Mhz Stable) CL 15
Asus TUF Z270 mark 1 motherboard
MSI GTX 760 2GB HAWK OC
Samsung 970 EVO 512 GB NVME drive
WD 2TB caviar black HDD
Thermaltake SMART 530W 80+ Bronze Semi Modular PSU
ACER Predator XB241H 1080p 1ms 144 hz (185 hz OC) TN Panel with G-Sync

After

Intel i7-6700K 4.8 Ghz with Turbo Boost on 5.0Ghz ~ 20% OC
Asus TUF RTX 3060 12 gb
WD 2TB caviar black HDD

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
The NH-D15 is an excellent heatsink for overclocking your CPU.

A 10% (4.4GHz) all-core overclock on the i7-6700K should be quite easy and 4.6GHz possible, but I'd exercise caution if you want to achieve 20% (4.8GHz). You might need a rather high voltage which could reduce CPU life expectancy.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i7-6700k-safe-overclocking.2576652/
https://www.pcgamer.com/overclocking-the-ultimate-gaming-cpu-intels-core-i7-6700k/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9533/intel-i7-6700k-overclocking-4-8-ghz

Do not rely on automatic overclocking programs. They tend to overvolt the processor unnecessarily to cope with really low-binned CPUs. Start low and work slowly up in frequency. Run stress tests and back off the settings when the computer hangs, or bump up the voltage carefully.

I reduce the power level on my RTX 3060 12GB card to 95% in MSI Afterburner, to prevent crashes in Topaz Video AI. This app is updated frequently and early releases in 2022 were unstable.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Hello people,

Well obeusly i have a question to ask and by the name of the topic you could see where im going with this topic. In the past I have already posted on which gpu is best for me to take with the intel processor i have and its been decided to go with the rtx 3060 12 GB. Since i have the unlocked cpu and a Noctua nh-d15 cooling fan with the thermal grizzly thermal paste, would an overclock of 10-20 % make difference and be less of a "bottleneck" for a rtx 3060 to be more balanced system or am i tripping ?

Reminder : What i use my computer for - Mostly for Audio Editing and processing, mixing songs with a lot of plugins and mastering songs in the box, also i from time to time use after effects, photoshop, illustrator and video edit mostly adobe premiere pro but sometimes da vicni resolve as needed, mostly in 1080p and obveusly i sometimes play games. Those games arent that demanding but over time some do get a bit demanding. Titles like Need for Speed, Dying Light and Dying light 2, Dark Souls 2 and 3 mostly, Assasins Creed FRY CRY, ARK Survival Evolved etc. There are also some non demanding games that i play like : Counter Strike GO, Counter Strike 1.6, League of Legends, Lineage 2, Tekken 7 , Raft , PC Building simulator, car mechanic simulator etc.

Thanks !

Specs of my system:

Before

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 Ghz
MSI GTX 760 2GB HAWK OC
WD 2TB caviar black HDD

After

Asus TUF RTX 3060 12 gb
WD 2TB caviar black HDD
You should not be overclocking anything with that psu. Thermaltake’s smart series is know for being cheap fire hazard junk.

Hey there,

would an overclock of 10-20 % make difference and be less of a "bottleneck" for a rtx 3060 to be more balanced system or am i tripping ?
It's little bit of both. The OC will be barely noticeable in terms of FPS. Your CPU is more core limited than anything else. So yes, the OC will technically be slightly faster, but will only translate to 1-2 fps in game.

If you want more performance you need a CPU capable to send pre-rendered frames faster to the GPU. The faster the CPU the more frames your GPU will push out (mostly).

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
The NH-D15 is an excellent heatsink for overclocking your CPU.

A 10% (4.4GHz) all-core overclock on the i7-6700K should be quite easy and 4.6GHz possible, but I'd exercise caution if you want to achieve 20% (4.8GHz). You might need a rather high voltage which could reduce CPU life expectancy.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/i7-6700k-safe-overclocking.2576652/
https://www.pcgamer.com/overclocking-the-ultimate-gaming-cpu-intels-core-i7-6700k/
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9533/intel-i7-6700k-overclocking-4-8-ghz

Do not rely on automatic overclocking programs. They tend to overvolt the processor unnecessarily to cope with really low-binned CPUs. Start low and work slowly up in frequency. Run stress tests and back off the settings when the computer hangs, or bump up the voltage carefully.

I reduce the power level on my RTX 3060 12GB card to 95% in MSI Afterburner, to prevent crashes in Topaz Video AI. This app is updated frequently and early releases in 2022 were unstable.
Well i dont use automatic programs, i use eather bios or asus motherboard software for overclock and i overclock in increments so i gradually go until i get what i want... well yes i do get 4.6 to be stable, 4.8 is not as stable but can be achieved and run if you didnt overstress cpu earlier... but i wouldnt advise on booting with 4.8 oc cuz it get into windows crashing loop. 4.6 is stable no problem.... i usually use passmark to measure performance... for cpu stok i get around 8k score with hard oc i get 10k score but gpu is around 15k-16k score so i tought i should under clock the gpu and overclock the cpu to get them closer and get less of a "bottleneck" i guess... if that has any sense at all.... but im posting here to confirm on will it be a right thing to do or that doesnt have any sense of doing and up to how much those the oc impact the compatibility balance to get them to be more of a perfect match then they get stock ... hope im doing the right thing... btw i realized when i go voltage offset +0.180 V if gets up to its thermal limits abou 79 to 80 degrees... if i put +0.200 V it hits 90 degrees C and it isnt stable at all, most often goes back to default 4.0 or 4.2 ghz ...

I dunno but im just trying to make it work the best it can.

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
You should not be overclocking anything with that psu. Thermaltake’s smart series is know for being cheap fire hazard junk.
Well everybody keep telling me that but my psu didnt have a one fail at all its working no metter what i did to my system and it saved my system from overvoltage cuz of bad electricity at the job i worked earlier... some safety switch turned on and saved my pc ... so i didnt have any problems until now... its just i dont have enough power since i made upgrade to my whole system except psu so i would be going with the asus rog 600-700w psu soon so no worries :)

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
Hey there,

It's little bit of both. The OC will be barely noticeable in terms of FPS. Your CPU is more core limited than anything else. So yes, the OC will technically be slightly faster, but will only translate to 1-2 fps in game.

If you want more performance you need a CPU capable to send pre-rendered frames faster to the GPU. The faster the CPU the more frames your GPU will push out (mostly).
Well i guess if i push it to work faster it will render frames a bit quicker then stock and if i slow down speed of gpu i can find some balance in between .. since its i7, it has decent cache memory and decent core number im guessing it wont be a huge bottleneck, but if i help them find in the middle i guess i could have some decent setup more balanced then stock... i do know that better cpu is recommended but i just bought this setup year or two ago which i still pay for to the bank ... it doesnt have sense on spending more for new cpu new socket then new motherboard, new psu ... i would be in dept too much... this can go for now no problem, so im just asking if i tune it like this to balance it out a bit will that have the effect i am trying to reach at least a little or is it not possible to get them close enough to get in sync well enough ?

Hello people,

Thanks !

Specs of my system:

Before

Intel i7-6700K 4.0 Ghz
MSI GTX 760 2GB HAWK OC
WD 2TB caviar black HDD

After

Asus TUF RTX 3060 12 gb
WD 2TB caviar black HDD
You might want to start from the other direction.

Get the proper bios/drivers/firmware.
Skinny down unneeded stuff that's running or even loading.
Do some house cleaning on the storage.

After that is done monitor the different areas of the machine when you run your stuff see what's busy.

sonic9219

Prominent
Apr 18, 2022
You might want to start from the other direction.

Get the proper bios/drivers/firmware.
Skinny down unneeded stuff that's running or even loading.
Do some house cleaning on the storage.

After that is done monitor the different areas of the machine when you run your stuff see what's busy.
Well thats a hard one to do mate... it was easier earlier when i could kill the tasks that i dont need but windows 10 64 bit that i use has higher resource usage for explorer.exe, and also windows antivirus software ... if i kill explorer.exe i cant use my pc, i can run it as a new task to reset it but over time it gets back to where i started from anyways...

about the windows antivirus background scans and usage, over the time i tryed disabling it in the policies, tryed the regedit, tryed service disabling and none worked... it eather doesnt give permission to do so or it turns back on, on its own ( sometimes right away, sometimes after some time and mostly after a first restart ) ....

as for drivers and firmware i am a total geek about it, i always download latest and greatest driver, bios version and firmware so no problem there.. since z270 tuf is quite an old mobbo there is no new drivers on the official site and i do look at it on a montly basis just in case but i think from 2021 they stopped the new drivers release for those soo no problems there eather :) Thanks for your time and effort, but i surely think i cant tune my system like that...

i do those things already to have as much resources as i can for the plugins and cpu power when i mix the songs, i also get rid of temp files as well as turn of hibernation and keep my power on a high performance power plan... i also did some registry changes for more response and less delay for menus and stuff ...

i also did nvme trimming as well as hard disk defragmentation and cleanup ... i also do windows updates regularly, i even recently updated java to the latest version so from a software standpoint i think my computer is pretty much ready to go, the hardware slithe dissbalance is what im trying to balance out and connect for the smoothest expirience and getting as much as i can out from it on a daily basis for work and fun :)

Well thats a hard one to do mate... it was easier earlier when i could kill the tasks that i dont need but windows 10 64 bit that i use has higher resource usage for explorer.exe, and also windows antivirus software ... if i kill explorer.exe i cant use my pc, i can run it as a new task to reset it but over time it gets back to where i started from anyways...

about the windows antivirus background scans and usage, over the time i tryed disabling it in the policies, tryed the regedit, tryed service disabling and none worked... it eather doesnt give permission to do so or it turns back on, on its own ( sometimes right away, sometimes after some time and mostly after a first restart ) ....

as for drivers and firmware i am a total geek about it, i always download latest and greatest driver, bios version and firmware so no problem there.. since z270 tuf is quite an old mobbo there is no new drivers on the official site and i do look at it on a montly basis just in case but i think from 2021 they stopped the new drivers release for those soo no problems there eather :) Thanks for your time and effort, but i surely think i cant tune my system like that...

i do those things already to have as much resources as i can for the plugins and cpu power when i mix the songs, i also get rid of temp files as well as turn of hibernation and keep my power on a high performance power plan... i also did some registry changes for more response and less delay for menus and stuff ...

i also did nvme trimming as well as hard disk defragmentation and cleanup ... i also do windows updates regularly, i even recently updated java to the latest version so from a software standpoint i think my computer is pretty much ready to go, the hardware slithe dissbalance is what im trying to balance out and connect for the smoothest expirience and getting as much as i can out from it on a daily basis for work and fun :)
Just to take a peek install this.
UBM

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a LINK to the results page.