Can I boot Windows 10 from a CD?

burntphoenix

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Hey guys, new to the forum. Before explaining why, I'm going to ask the question is it possible to boot your system from a CD, particularly Windows 10? I don't mean install from a CD, but boot from it.

About a decade ago my computer was a bit messed up, so I had to reformat, but per the instructions of a friend I installed Linux Mint on a CD and booted from it so I could get all my files first before reformatting. I have Windows 7 and I am not going to Windows 10 yet since I've seen too many issues on it when it comes to games I play, though I have an Xbox Elite controller and I would like access to the Xbox Accessories app.

TL;DR I wanna boot up W10 from a CD every now and again to use specific W10 software. I know it's possible right? If it is, anyone mind helping me find a tutorial or guide, whenever I google this all I get are tutorials how to install from a CD and not boot from it.

Solution
What you can do is...

1. Obtain a outward accessible hard drive bay. This will fit in a front facing 5.25" drive mount, and be connected to the regular SATA port on the motherboard.

2. Obtain a 3.5" hard drive of sufficient size. 500 or 1TB. Or an SSD.

3. Purchase a Win 10 license.

4. Plug that drive in, install Windows on it.

5. Activate it, run all the updates, etc.
When done, unplug it.

6. When you want to use it...power off, plug that drive in, boot into your Win 10 instance.
Cook and eat dinner while you wait for the accumulated backlog of Windows updates to run

7. Use it as you please.

But no...you can't run Windows of a CD or DVD.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 10? No.
Nor 8.1, 7, Vista...

USAFRet

Titan
What you can do is...

1. Obtain a outward accessible hard drive bay. This will fit in a front facing 5.25" drive mount, and be connected to the regular SATA port on the motherboard.

2. Obtain a 3.5" hard drive of sufficient size. 500 or 1TB. Or an SSD.

3. Purchase a Win 10 license.

4. Plug that drive in, install Windows on it.

5. Activate it, run all the updates, etc.
When done, unplug it.

6. When you want to use it...power off, plug that drive in, boot into your Win 10 instance.
Cook and eat dinner while you wait for the accumulated backlog of Windows updates to run

7. Use it as you please.

But no...you can't run Windows of a CD or DVD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS