Can I build a PC on carpet if I stand on a plastic chair mat?

alecSomeThing

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016
I was planing on building my new PC soon and I was wondering if it was safe to build my PC in a room with carpet if I'm building the PC on a desk and I'm standing on a plastic chair mat

Solution
You don't even need the mat. Barefoot would be a good idea - definitely not just wearing socks. When people say "don't build on carpet", its more avoid having the computer directly on carpet.

gussrtk

Honorable
ive built two on a carpet. another piece of advice is... before touching components just touch the computer case (metal frame), this way if there is any static built up, it will dissipate into the case rather than a component that you would pick up

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015
It's definitely not advisable. Yo can do whatever you want, your PC will even work afterwards but there is a significant chance that you'll fry some circuits which will cause your PC performance loss.
Just because people do it, it doesn't mean it's right.
Definitely don't build standing on carpet, don't wear any elastic clothes and preferably ground yourself.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
@Marty01, that's a little extreme to claim "significant chance" - definitely getting into scaremongering territory.

Sure, if you can avoid it (tile, laminate etc are better options) then do so. I wouldn't encourage it, but it's not likely to present any significant issue.

There is a minor risk, but utilizing common sense and the OP will be fine. Sure, don't wear socks - especially don't wear sockets & start moonwalking around your carpet in between fitting components - and don't pet the cat/dog.

Building a computer, while standing on carpet is no more dangerous than simply building without an anti-static wriststrap............ which I have done 10+ times with no problem.

Silverbear

Honorable
Feb 24, 2015
I've been building computers for 13 years, when I was younger (around 12 years old) I would build sitting on the carpet with the computer laying down on the carpet next to me with socks on and even a few times with fuzzy pajamas and a curious cat coming over to check out what I was doing. I have never had any problems with frying or shorting out any computer parts.

In fact, I think the whole idea of Electro-Static Discharge is just a conspiracy invented by "The Man" so that they can sell you those fake anti-static wristbands giving you the strings for the puppet they think you are!

:D Kidding aside, Electro-static Discharge is a thing, but it's really rare. Unless you're rubbing a balloon on your head while building the computer, you have nothing to worry about. And like Gussrtk said, just touch the computer case or some other un-painted piece of metal occasionally to get rid of static build-up.

I always build on carpet, barefoot laid out all over the place. Like was said before, use common sense when it comes to static and you'll be fine. Most of the parts can withstand a static shock to most of the component, HOWEVER, there is a small chance that a static shock will hit the right part of the wrong component and damage it. It only takes a small zap, but to the right spot, deadly. And we're talking on the milivolt scale, way less than would arc. With PCBs try to touch the sides, not the top/bottom, parts like PSU and heatsink/fans are for the most part all right with some zap. SSDs pretty safe from zap, HDDs slightly less than SSDs, the big areas of worry are CPU/GPU and Motherboard, thems the ones to be extra careful with, but ya, been building computers for almost 20 years now and never, not once fried anything with static. No static strap, on carpet, every time, 10 - 12 times a year, 20 years. Be cognizant, but don't let it ruin your day.

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

It's bit unwise to give people advises such as "it's not likely to present any significant issue" without proper knowledge supported only with [MOD EDIT: Insult Removed] attitude.
It doesn't take much to destroy computer components.

I'm guessing your claims are based on the fact that computers you built worked. Just because they worked, it doesn't mean the weren't damaged.
It doesn't matter how many times you built computers. Components are very delicate and it takes a few volts to kill circuits or even entire part. That's the voltage you won't feel, but it will be enough to do some damage.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't see it as being unwise at all. I outright admit there is a minor risk, but I'd counter that to claim "your PC will even work afterwards but there is a significant chance that you'll fry some circuits which will cause your PC performance loss." is scaremongering, pure & simple.

Yes, they worked, and worked for a long time.

In a simple sense, you'll either 'zap' a component & it won't work from then on out, or it'll be fine. There may well be miniscule damage occurring on occasion & depending on circumstances, but that could occur from your clothes etc also - carpet certainly doesn't help the situation, but with the right precautions it doesn't increase the risk any higher than wearing clothes or even owning a pet (who doesn't need to be in the vicinity, but simply have been in the vicinity in the past)

Marty01

Reputable
Sep 1, 2015

Here are some articles you can read.
http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Computer_Science/static.asp
http://www.build-your-own-cheap-computer.com/static-electricity.html
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-static-electricity-works/
http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2024310&seqNum=2

gussrtk

Honorable
I built 3 PCs on carpet... with a magnetic screw driver.... seriously... if you just take some precautions it's not gonna do anything to your components...

[[[ yes i know i said 2 builds above, but 2 system were identical at the same time, and one system was a few years later]]]