Question Can I buy 2 single modules for dual channel slots?

EliJoe0010

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
I am buying the MSI B450m Gaming Plus Motherboard and all the compatible ram on the QVL for my cpu (Ryzen 3 2200g) is either outside of my budget on the dual module side or only single module for the amount of gb I want. I dont have enough to upgrade to 16 or even 32 right now so just want 8gb to start with. Can I buy two single modules, these to be exact : https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls4g4d240fsb and just put them together to get the 8GB? or will it only read as 4gb? Please forgive my ignorance on this, just seeking some clarity..

Thank you in advance

EliJoe0010

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
Buying a 2x4GB/8GB kit is the same price or cheaper than buying 2 separate sticks.
And you can get 2666 kits for the same price as a 2400 kit:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#X=0,7724&m=12&s=402400,402666

If you buy the sticks separately they will probably work fine BUT they may not.
If you buy a 2 stick kit they are guaranteed to work together.

I know that buying the kit is better, but the QVL doesn't have RAM that are within my price or size range. they keep showing me kits or single modules that are 16-128GB I don't want more than 8GB right now. Which is why I was wondering if I can buy the two single ones instead of settling for an 8GB single module.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If it's on the QVL list that means MSI has tested that particular RAM with that mobo and guarantees it works. If it's not on the list that just means MSI didn't test that RAM, so they don't guarantee it. It could work fine, or it might require some manual tweaking, or you may not be able to run it at full speed.

If you want the best chance of everything working out of the box, get the QVL RAM. If you want the best performance with the possibility you may have to do a bit of tinkering, get the 3200 MHz RAM.

Reactions: EliJoe0010

EliJoe0010

Commendable
Sep 15, 2019
If it's on the QVL list that means MSI has tested that particular RAM with that mobo and guarantees it works. If it's not on the list that just means MSI didn't test that RAM, so they don't guarantee it. It could work fine, or it might require some manual tweaking, or you may not be able to run it at full speed.

If you want the best chance of everything working out of the box, get the QVL RAM. If you want the best performance with the possibility you may have to do a bit of tinkering, get the 3200 MHz RAM.

Ohhh ok, gotcha! Well my build is black and red so the 3200mhz will fall in line nicely
Thanks for taking time to help

Reactions: TJ Hooker