[SOLVED] Can i buy two rams seperately?

Solution
But friends please tell me would taking 2 rams of same speed and configurations but 2 quantities would not cause any problems or would not at all run.

Doesn't make a difference. Ram is made from sheets of silicon. Each sheet is unique, it has different / different levels of impurities from another sheet. This greatly affects the 40+ Secondary and Tertiary timings you don't see.

You could buy 2 sticks in 2 blister packs, from the same peg, same shelf, same store, that arrived in the same container in the same box and have the exact same make, model, color, speed, timings, voltage, totally identical except for the production numbers and they could be totally incompatible. Or require massive amounts of user changes, or very few...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Means sir the ram with same speed and other configurations but in two quantities.
Yes but they are still mixed. RAM is only guaranteed compatibility in the same packs, regardless as to the make / model / speed etc. Aligning these just minimise the risk, but don't eliminate it.

Don't get me wrong, you can do it, and many people do ,and quite often, there isn't an issue. But it's also perfectly possible to plug them in and them not work correctly or with one another.

Reactions: Predator005#
Jun 29, 2020
Friends what shall I do i just want to run games which need 16gb ram and just a little good performance and after some years I would definitely go for a RGB kit.

But friends please tell me would taking 2 rams of same speed and configurations but 2 quantities would not cause any problems or would not at all run.

Please reply.

Jun 29, 2020
Yes but they are still mixed. RAM is only guaranteed compatibility in the same packs, regardless as to the make / model / speed etc. Aligning these just minimise the risk, but don't eliminate it.

Don't get me wrong, you can do it, and many people do ,and quite often, there isn't an issue. But it's also perfectly possible to plug them in and them not work correctly or with one another.
But sir if I bought it with same configurations.

But sir if I bought it with same configurations.
Even mixing RAM of the exact same make and model but bought separately can have issues. Often it works ok but there is no guarantee. Only RAM bought in a matched kit is guaranteed to work without issues. There is no other answer. If you want 16Gb then it’s recommended to buy a 2x8gb kit and not 2 individual 1x8gb.

Reactions: Predator005#
Jun 29, 2020
Is there any defference between performance of 8gb 3200 mhz and 4×2gb 2666 mhz. And can i run most games in ultra settings with 4×2gb 2666 mhz as this kit is in my build.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Doesn't make a difference. Ram is made from sheets of silicon. Each sheet is unique, it has different / different levels of impurities from another sheet. This greatly affects the 40+ Secondary and Tertiary timings you don't see.

You could buy 2 sticks in 2 blister packs, from the same peg, same shelf, same store, that arrived in the same container in the same box and have the exact same make, model, color, speed, timings, voltage, totally identical except for the production numbers and they could be totally incompatible. Or require massive amounts of user changes, or very few changes, or be perfectly compatible.

It's pot-luck guessing game and you are the victim. You could buy 1000 sticks and not get 2x that are compatible. That's exactly why 2x stick kits exist, the factory already did all the testing for you, guarantees compatability.

Solution: buy the full 2x8Gb (16Gb) kit you require. A single package. Then sell your old stick. Anything else means that You become the Guinea Pig, start testing sticks and hope/pray they work.
4×2gb 2666 mhz
The smallest chip for DDR4 is 512Mb. That's chip, not DIMM. For DDR4, that requires 4x chips, minimum per DIMM, so the cheapest and smallest possible size would be 2Gb. If that's what you really have, 4x 2Gb, you have the cheapest built ram on the planet, in the worst possible configuration and thats not good for Any kind of performance.
Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution