Question Can I change GPU fan connector from 3-pin to 2-pin

1984miroslav

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
I was reading similar threads, but couldn't find proper answer and solution.
I have Lenovo Small Form case, and in order to upgrade onboard graphics, I've bought Low Profile gt210 with passive cooling.
Since passive cooler is taking too much space, I was thinking to replace it with one small gpu fan from another GPU.
Only problem is that fan I plan to use comes with 3-pin connector, and on my gt210 is 2-pin connection.
I would appreciate any solution or advice.

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to pass on the exact link to the passively cooled GT210. How much of a clearance can you afford within your case? You might want to be wary that the heatsink isn't just cooling the GPU die but providing airflow across the memory modules as well.

If you can return the passive GPU and buy a card with a single slot active cooler, that's the best bet.

Are you planning on running the GPU without a heatsink? Like...just a fan blowing on the bare die? That's not going to work.

Going from 3-pin fan to 2-pin should be fine. I've done that before.

1984miroslav

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
Might want to pass on the exact link to the passively cooled GT210. How much of a clearance can you afford within your case? You might want to be wary that the heatsink isn't just cooling the GPU die but providing airflow across the memory modules as well.
I haven't mentioned, smaller cooler with fan I plan to put instead of bigger passive one.

1984miroslav

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2017
If you can return the passive GPU and buy a card with a single slot active cooler, that's the best bet.

Are you planning on running the GPU without a heatsink? Like...just a fan blowing on the bare die? That's not going to work.

Going from 3-pin fan to 2-pin should be fine. I've done that before.
Heatsink with fan, removed together from another gpu. I will try later your advice to remove yellow wire. Tnx