Can I charge my laptop using a portable battery charger?

ItsPepi

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
I currently have the Razer Blade Stealth v1 which uses UBS type c for charging. I also have a 15,000 mah portable battery and I was wondering if I could take a USB type c charging cable and use my portable battery to charge my laptop. I know it probably won't provide much but just a little bit of extra juice won't hurt. I have tried it and no success so I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Solution
That power bank only outputs 5V2.1A and makes no mention of support for any higher-voltage/current standard. Nowhere near enough for the laptop.

Based on Razer's spec page, I'm guessing the laptop expects a USB-PD 3.0 adapter capable of 15V3A output since it lists 45W as the OEM adapter's rating. USB-PD 3.0 requires a C-to-C cable since it uses a dedicated type-C wire pair.

InvalidError

Titan
If your laptop refuses to take a charge from your power bank, it could be that the power bank doesn't support the USB-PD profiles that your laptop requires. Depending on the power bank, it may have a type-C port but not actually support USB-PD at all. (You didn't specify the power bank brand and model, I can only guess.)

ItsPepi

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015

I have a basic Insignia portable battery. It doesn't have a USB type C port on it. I used a USB A to type C cable when I first tried it out. It's possible that it doesn't support it.

Portable battery: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-15000-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-enabled-devices-black/5906300.p?skuId=5906300

InvalidError

Titan
That power bank only outputs 5V2.1A and makes no mention of support for any higher-voltage/current standard. Nowhere near enough for the laptop.

Based on Razer's spec page, I'm guessing the laptop expects a USB-PD 3.0 adapter capable of 15V3A output since it lists 45W as the OEM adapter's rating. USB-PD 3.0 requires a C-to-C cable since it uses a dedicated type-C wire pair.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Don't just piggyback on someone else's thread that was solved already. We have different threads for a reason.