[SOLVED] Can i clone my memory from m.2 ssd to 2.5 sata ssd?

Mar 5, 2020
Here is the situation,

-My laptop have a 512gb m.2 ssd and an empty slot for 2.5 ssd.

-I have a new 1tb m.2 ssd and 1tb 2.5 inch sata ssd.

-Do i need to clone my 512gb m.2 ssd to my new 1tb 2.5 inch sata ssd, then clone it back to my new 1tb m.2 ssd?

Thanks in advance

Solution
The other drive is WD 1TB SATA SSD, it is sufficient right?
Assuming there is a lot of free space on that drive, yes. There can be other things as well.

So, we're going to create an Image of the current 660p, and then apply that Image out to the new WD Black,

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. Here, the SATA SSD. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  6. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply...
Mar 5, 2020
You wish to replace the 512GB M.2 drive with a 1TB M.2?

Don't focus on the word "clone", but we can make this happen.

What specific drives are these?
Is this a laptop or desktop?
What OS?

1. Yeah, I want to change the 512gb m.2 to1tb m.2.

2. I just simply want to change the m.2 drive and add a 2.5 drive to the empty slot. Do i have to take any initial step before change the drive?

3. - It is WD black 1tb m.2 nlvme 2280, and WD 1tb sata3 ssd
- My laptop is ASUS tuf gaming series fx505d
- With AMD ryzen 5

USAFRet

Titan
No, the current os drive is 512GB Intel 660p M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 NVMe SSD. While the new one is 1tb wd black nvme.

The os is windows 10
Ok then...no problem.

NVMe -> NVme is generally no problem.
The operative word we're using is Image, not a Clone.

And you have another drive (SATA SSD?) that you can plug in? This drive has sufficient free spaec to hold the entire contents of the Intel 660p?

Mar 5, 2020
Ok then...no problem.

NVMe -> NVme is generally no problem.
The operative word we're using is Image, not a Clone.

And you have another drive (SATA SSD?) that you can plug in? This drive has sufficient free spaec to hold the entire contents of the Intel 660p?

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming there is a lot of free space on that drive, yes. There can be other things as well.

So, we're going to create an Image of the current 660p, and then apply that Image out to the new WD Black,

2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. Here, the SATA SSD. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.

Solution
Mar 5, 2020

4. When done, power OFF.
  5. Swap the 2 drives
  7. Recover, and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  8. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  9. That's all...this should work.
Alright, nice. I will follow your step.
Thanks and cheers mate.