Can i connect 2.5" HDD while my laptop is on in windows 10 installer

micko_lesmana

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
So my friend laptop (Aspire V5-471G) HDD is broken but i have spare one. The problem is i cant go to the BIOS Setup for Boot priority i tried all F Key including esc ,del , and using FN, so i reset BIOS using remove CMOS method. but still i cant enter the BIOS utility. when i use win10 in CD,it can boot and setup for installing but without any HDD ,only DVD drive. if i connect the HDD the prompt said "Operating system not found " so in my mind i have a risky method , first Boot the setup using only the DVD Drive than connect the HDD while the Windows Installer ask where to put the OS, is it safe tho?(i copy the thread from my other account because i forgot the password)

F12 should have given you a boot menu, and F2 should take you in to BIOS. Most of the times it's just a timing issue when to press these buttons. Usually while boot logo is displayed. Press these buttons repeatedly after powering on until (in case) "operating system not found" is displayed.

That's supposed to be the keys.

As for doing what you want, hot swapping is possible, but could also fry it. lol. Myself, as a last ditch I may try it, but I can't advocate it. Pressing the drive in wrong and touch two pins that are so close together could easily zap it or the whole system.