[SOLVED] Can i connect 2 ethernet cables without the connector ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 1, 2019
Hi , i want to connect 2 ethernet cables together but i dont have the connector , only wires sticking out of cables ... can i just twist the exact same wires of color together ? i appreaciate any help, and if so i can , can someone give me some youtube video or something , so i will be able to do it the right way ? i will be grateful for any kind of help :)

Solution
Will it work? Maybe. Will it work at gigabit? Probably not. The amount of untwisting of the pairs, you would probably do, to get enough would probably cause enough noise that it wouldn't reliably work for gigabit. Getting each of the 8 wires stripped to copper is not easy. Keeping them from shorting together is even harder.

kanewolf

Titan
Will it work? Maybe. Will it work at gigabit? Probably not. The amount of untwisting of the pairs, you would probably do, to get enough would probably cause enough noise that it wouldn't reliably work for gigabit. Getting each of the 8 wires stripped to copper is not easy. Keeping them from shorting together is even harder.

Solution
Jan 1, 2019

best solution would probably be to buy crimping tool and connectors , right ?

kanewolf

Titan

Yeah. But as @Scottray said, unless it is in-wall cabling, buying a new long enough cable is the best answer. You are guaranteed that it will work for gigabit if you buy a cat5e or better cable. Just get one that is pure copper (not CCA).

Jan 1, 2019

the problem is that , i have one ethernet cable coming from the wall that has internet , and other one (coming from the wall) that goes to my room , so basically all the cables are inside the wall , so the only solution for me is to buy connectors , I have seen some guy on youtube putting connector on without the crimping tool so i will try that probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS