Question Can I connect a desktop and laptop to Dell Docking Station D6000?

DouggieBuggyBoo

Prominent
Jul 31, 2023
I have a D6000, which I've used successfully with my work laptop for years. I can successfully unplug the dock from my laptop and plug it into the desktop to use the same peripherals. Now I'm trying to determine if I can connect it to my gaming computer at the same time without unplugging anything.

I'd like to use the following across the systems by plugging them into the dock:
- Ethernet cable
- USB mouse
- USB keyboard
- USB webcam
- USB headset

My Dell S3422DWG ultrawide curved gaming monitor is already successfully connected to the laptop through the dock, and the desktop directly. I'm not worried about changing this setup for now.

My goal is to have a setup where I can use the same USB devices for both setups without manually unplugging anything as I have been. Can anyone confirm if I can just connect the PC to another port in the dock to have it also work? (I would have already tried it, but don't have a spare USB cord. I don't want to buy one if it's a harebrained idea that'll never work.)

Lutfij

Titan
What you're looking for is a KVM switch. Can you pass on the specs to your desktop(as in the motherboard, monitors and discrete GPU) as well as the make, model and SKU for your laptop so we have an understanding of what you have to work with and what the KVM switch needs to hook up to.

Include your location, your budget and your preferred site for purchase in case users can show up with suggestions for devices that meets your goal.