Question Can I connect a NAS to a router that's in wireless repeater mode?

Shodan5150

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
I have a Synology NAS connected to an Asus RT-AC65 wireless router. It was in wireless router mode and the NAS worked fine. I put the router in repeater mode and now I can't connect to the NAS. Is there a way to configure the router so I can connect to the NAS?

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Synology NAS connected to an Asus RT-AC65 wireless router. It was in wireless router mode and the NAS worked fine. I put the router in repeater mode and now I can't connect to the NAS. Is there a way to configure the router so I can connect to the NAS?
You should be able to. The ethernet ports should be functional. Performance to the network that is "across" the wireless uplink will be poor.

Do you get a link light on the router and NAS ?

Plug a laptop or desktop into the ethernet ports with the NAS. See if you can access the NAS then. If so, the ethernet ports are working correctly.

kanewolf

Titan
I realize what the problem is. The IP address of the network changed and the IP address of the nas is the same as before. So how do I change the Nas IP address?
Hook the NAS and a laptop to the Asus. Then manually set the IP address of the laptop to the same subnet (first three sets of numbers) but with a 4th number different from the NAS.
You should then be able to access the NAS via the old IP address. Set a new IP address, or set the NAS to DHCP temporarily. Then reset your laptop to DHCP.

Reactions: Shodan5150