[SOLVED] Can I connect a non-CenturyLink router directly to the Calix ONT?

Feb 2, 2021
My CenturyLink Technicolor C2000T modem/router is losing connectivity for a few minutes, several times each day, so I'm looking at replacing it, and I want to see if I can do better than buying one that CL sells. (A CL tech said they often fail after 4-5 years, and mine is that old--and of course, I don't know that they installed a new one.)

I have 40MBPS fiber/GPON service, with a Calix 711GE ONT on the side of the house that appears to be connected to the C2000T in the basement. (A blue Ethernet cable leaves the ONT from a connection labeled "ENET" and a similar cable enters the C2000T's WAN/LAN port.)

Initial research indicates that the ONT is a modem, so all I need is a router. The C2000T looks like a DSL modem/router, so since I'm not DSL, I'm just using its router function. Essentially, I could just plug a computer directly into the ONT if I didn't need wireless, right? Does this make sense?

Should I be able to buy just about any decent router and connect it to the ONT? Thanks!

Solution
The nice answer would be yes.

However, many ISP's provide a list of supported modems, router, or combined modem routers.

If the device you purchase is not on that list then the ISP has no obligation to support it.

USAFRet

Titan
Doubtful.

The ONT is not a simple modem. Specific freq over the fiber counts.

If you're having disconnect issues, what does CenturyLink say? It may well be completely outside your house.
If you are renting this device, they'll provide a new one.

If you're not paying for that box, make them give you a new one.

Generally moving to your own router from a cpe fibre setup like that has caveats--you'll need to research all of them before you do anything. Of course, a quick and easy test would be to plug in a laptop to the port and see what happens.

Feb 2, 2021
Doubtful.

If you're having disconnect issues, what does CenturyLink say? It may well be completely outside your house.
They say I should just rent or buy another one of their routers.

Feb 2, 2021
Doubtful.

Thanks. They just say I should buy or rent another one of their modem/routers

Feb 2, 2021
If you're not paying for that box, make them give you a new one.

Generally moving to your own router from a cpe fibre setup like that has caveats--you'll need to research all of them before you do anything. Of course, a quick and easy test would be to plug in a laptop to the port and see what happens.
Good idea on trying the laptop. I have found hopeful information at
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa76pRdQYGY