Question Can I connect my monitor to the motherboard while still using the installed video card?

SenaHeaven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Hello

Long story short: my GTX 1050 ti 's ports died and it won't connect to any monitor no matter which port I use.

I have Team Viewer installed in my PC so even without the monitor I could connect and see if it was still working - and it did - Windows 10 boots normally and it still detect the video card and doesn't report any issue.

I already brought my PC to assistance and all they told me is to throw the video card away and get a new one.

I was thinking if it was possible instead to connect my monitor to my motherboard (MSI H110M PRO-VH ) while still using the video card, somehow, I would really rather not throw in the trash a still semi-functioning 1050 ti..... (warranty is expired on it btw).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Some motherboards will let you do this with a BIOS setting. This re-enabled the onboard Intel graphics outputs. So step one would be to remove the GPU, go into the BIOS, change that setting and re-install your GPU (Assuming it is still functional)

Once in Windows you would then have to use preferences to use the 1050Ti as the "high performance" option on each individual application. Essentially you would be treating your desktop as a laptop where you set certain programs to run on the onboard video vs the discrete graphics card.

I believe this guide for getting a video card with no display outputs to operate via the motherboard might come in handy. You can ignore the driver modifications though: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1029382-hacking-nvidias-drivers/

Watch the video and they cover the steps for setting applications to use the discrete card.

Reactions: SenaHeaven

SenaHeaven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Update: Nothing, seems like my motherboard can either disable or enable the video card, no in betweens, If I disable the video card obviously it doesn't appear in Windows, if I enable the video it automatically tries to boot from it resulting in black screen.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
What is the name of the setting you're changing? Do you have something like "default display device"? I would try keeping the monitor plugged the 1050 Ti in addition to the iGPU. Even if the outputs aren't functional, the graphics card may still be able to detect that a display is connected, which I think may be important for doing the iGPU passthrough thing described above.

SenaHeaven

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
What is the name of the setting you're changing? Do you have something like "default display device"? I would try keeping the monitor plugged the 1050 Ti in addition to the iGPU. Even if the outputs aren't functional, the graphics card may still be able to detect that a display is connected, which I think may be important for doing the iGPU passthrough thing described above.

I don't remember exactly the name of the setting but either way it's too late now, already installed an older video card now, will keep the 1050ti around maybe I can try again in the future but right now I kind of need my PC back on.

Thanks again for the replies tho

Reactions: TJ Hooker

bishumoharana

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
May be it helps, I know its a old post

But since i have a monitor with VGA in and 2070s doesn't come with any of the analog conn
I am using my mobos output to the monitor using vga out

And as mentioned by @Eximo & @HEXiT, i use the Graphics Properties to set high performance and it does works fine
I can do benchmark using Haven for example and run almost all games in hig perf mode

I do use my sys for VR for which I connect USB c of my quest to gpu, but that's just for the transmission not actual out put, though I tried connecting my GPU to HDMI to TV and it worked

For starter even if i boot without connecting monitor I can get my monitor working after Windows login (definately) I cant see BIOS until GPU is removed

One other thing that might be issue with my monitor not sure, I got a hdmi to VGA adapter and it works fine on MOBO but not on GPU, only after using team viewer to decrease the resolution from NVIDIA control center it works but it flickers and had tearing like old CRT monitor
Great if anyone could help me there

Now awaiting the DP to VGA adapter hopefuly it works