[SOLVED] Can I connect to 2 separate wifi networks with 2 adapters?

ionutd2007

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
My regular wifi connection is prone to frequent disconnects
I can get a 4g (sim card) wireless router for cheap

All I'm trying to do is achieve an overall stable connection, don't much care about the speed
So would it be possible to connect to both the regular router and the 4g one and when one connection goes down, it auto switches to 2nd one?
However it's set up, it doesn't matter, as long as I have no online down time

Cheers guys, tyvm for helping.

Solution
It tends to be rather messy to try to run a backup ISP when you are not a large corporation.

There are a couple problems you have.

The largest is you do not own a IP address. That means when you switch between 2 ISP your IP address with change. It depends on what you are doing. You likely will get disconnected from any game or netflix etc. You might have to reenter credentials and you will likely see more stupid captcha garbage.

Next you have the problem of what does "down" mean. Unlike a commercial connection that uses a routing protocol to constantly monitor connections you would have to find a way to detect it was down. I mean does getting 10% packet loss count as down ?

Now if you want to spend money to solve this...

kanewolf

Titan
My regular wifi connection is prone to frequent disconnects
I can get a 4g (sim card) wireless router for cheap

All I'm trying to do is achieve an overall stable connection, don't much care about the speed
So would it be possible to connect to both the regular router and the 4g one and when one connection goes down, it auto switches to 2nd one?
However it's set up, it doesn't matter, as long as I have no online down time

Cheers guys, tyvm for helping.
It would depend on WHY your regular WIFI drops. If it is an issue with neighboring WIFI conflicting, then adding another WIFI source won't change that.
In general Windows doesn't deal with multiple networks very well. I didn't see any obvious how-to articles on "WIFI failover windows" ....

It tends to be rather messy to try to run a backup ISP when you are not a large corporation.

There are a couple problems you have.

The largest is you do not own a IP address. That means when you switch between 2 ISP your IP address with change. It depends on what you are doing. You likely will get disconnected from any game or netflix etc. You might have to reenter credentials and you will likely see more stupid captcha garbage.

Next you have the problem of what does "down" mean. Unlike a commercial connection that uses a routing protocol to constantly monitor connections you would have to find a way to detect it was down. I mean does getting 10% packet loss count as down ?

Now if you want to spend money to solve this you can kinda use a similar solution used by corporate. First you rent a hosting site that has a fixed ip address. You then open 2 vpn tunnels one over each of your ISP to the hosting server. You can then if you want run a routing protocol over the VPN tunnel.

This of course now puts the single point of failure in the hosting center.

In the end it actually tends to easier to manually switch your PC between your 2 connections when you feel you need to . You still have the issue of IP address changes but it would not do it when you did not expect it.

Solution

ionutd2007

Reputable
Jan 8, 2019
okay... this sounds way more complicated than it needs to be

how about some 3rd party software that executes a simple script

IF primary X connection fails, connect to Y secondary network