[SOLVED] Can I Connect to Two Different Modems at Once?

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hi there folks,

I live with multiple people, and we have two modems in the household, it just so happens that I have two wifi adaptors: an external, USB adaptor; and an internal card.

I'm curious to know if it's possible to connect to one modem with one adaptor, and the second modem with another adaptor, and have them both operate at the same time?

Would this even work? And if so, would it provide any benifits?

Thank you.

Solution
Depends on the technology. All bandwidth is eventually shared. DSL you have a dedicated line between you and the telco. Cable and most fiber systems you share the bandwidth with you and all your neighbors. Putting 2 cable modems on the same coax in the house is really no different than putting one in your house and a second in the neighbors house. The cables are just connected out in the street rather than in your house.
You mean 2 different ISP connections ?

You can but it is very messy. First they must use different subnets. After that it is using the ROUTE command to tell your pc what traffic goes to what site. You need to remove the 0.0.0.0 default router from one of them.

You can with effort run some web sites on one connection and other on the second connection. In effect you get more bandwidth but it will not increase the speed of a single file download. You could though download 2 different files at the same time.

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Not sure what advantage you would get unless the bandwidth they use is not shared.
I can't imagine they would be; sure, it's coming from the same property but they're two different parties paying for each on their own, wouldn't it be a crime to share the lines since they're paying for separate lines?

Assuming both modems are on different lines, would that increase the bandwidth?

Depends on the technology. All bandwidth is eventually shared. DSL you have a dedicated line between you and the telco. Cable and most fiber systems you share the bandwidth with you and all your neighbors. Putting 2 cable modems on the same coax in the house is really no different than putting one in your house and a second in the neighbors house. The cables are just connected out in the street rather than in your house.

Solution

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Ah, I do understand that, it all ends up at the same place before everyone's request is redirected to where they want it to go.
Very well, I appreciate your assistance very much.

Thank you.