Can I convert a Windows OS Partition FROM NTFS to FAT32?

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hey all. So I'm trying to figure out for a project if it's possible to convert a Win 10 OS C: partition from NTFS TO FAT32.

Before you ask me "why?" i'll go ahead and explain this is for a school project type thing.

I'd prefer if I could find a way to do this WITHOUT formatting and being able to keep my win 10 installed as it is.

I can't even recall if my Win 10 installer if FAT32 is an option for formatting.

I've already gone through my system with spacesniffer and removed or moved any files i have over an individual size of 4gb. I'm under the impression that any files that are collective 4gb+ (A file containing multiple files of varying sizes UNDER 4gb each) are not an issue in a FAT32 config. I may be wrong on that though I suppose.

I've already tried to convert from an .ISO boot up of AOMEI to convert. I know I cannot convert it from the system partition running itself. However, the tool wouldn't allow me to convert the system to FAT32.

Do I need to find a special program out there designed to convert a C: drive to FAT32? Or is this something that i will absolutely have to reformat for?

I've already moved my .pagefilesys to another drive as it's the largest file I have on my C: drive at the moment.

Solution
Win 10 cannot be installed to a FAT 32 partition, not only that you cannot convert an already installed copy between FAT32 and NTFS or vice versa (and never could in the past either).

As for why, well its a school project, I gave you the start, you can go for it on the research.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Win 10 cannot be installed to a FAT 32 partition, not only that you cannot convert an already installed copy between FAT32 and NTFS or vice versa (and never could in the past either).

As for why, well its a school project, I gave you the start, you can go for it on the research.

Solution

crouse755

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
@JackNaylor thank you for the link! I hadn't thought to search IF I could install Windows 10 as FAT32. I just assumed I would be able to as most of my PC experiences are with Win 7 which I know supports a FAT32 OS. Greaat.

@ Rogue Leader well this certainly puts a hamper on my project. That's for sure. Thank you for the information. I'll be contacting my proffesor soon to inform him I may be required by software limitations to change my project.

Thanks so much for the help!