Question Can I convert an 8 pin ATX socket to a 6+2 socket (on my PSU tester) + PC shutting down randomly

Jan 18, 2023
I bought a PSU tester that has an 8 pin and 6 pin socket. My GPU has a 8 pin socket, and I use a 6+2 cable to power it, and it fits fine, but the 6+2 cable won't fit in the 8 pin socket on the PSU tester. I'm a noob so I didn't know why until I saw my 8 pin GPU socket has a small space under the bottom pin to allow the ridge on the 2 pin connector to fit, which the (cheap plastic) PSU tester socket doesn't have. My question is can I convert the 8 pin tester socket by making a gap, and will I be able to do it without damaging the tester?

I'm testing my PSU because I recently got a GTX 1660 Ti, but now my pc abruptly shuts down whenever I play moderately graphics intensive games (e.g. OW, plague tale innocence), but not with less graphic intensive games (like dead cells). This has happened twice and I'm wary of trying to play anything too heavy because I don't want to <Mod Edit> up the new card. I want to find out what's wrong though without sending it off to the shop. I did a RAM check, scannowed for errors and reinstalled windows, but the PC still shut down when I tried to play heavier games. My main question is about the socket but would appreciate any tips on this issue as well.

My specs, if needed:
Motherboard- ASUS prime H310M-E
CPU- Intel core i5-9400 CPU
GPU: ASUS TUF GTX 1660 Ti
RAM: DDR4 8 GB x 2
PSU- CM Masterwatt Lite 600 W 230 V
2 TB HDD

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but the 6+2 cable won't fit in the 8 pin socket on the PSU tester.

Because the 8-pin slot is for CPU 4/8-pin 12V EPS cable, and not for GPU 6/8-pin 12V PCI-E cable. Hence why it doesn't fit. And there is a good reason for that.

My question is can I convert the 8 pin tester socket by making a gap, and will I be able to do it without damaging the tester?

If you do that (force your way around the socket plug protections), you'll fry your PSU tester and most likely PSU as well.

But if you don't believe me, go ahead. Might see some nice magical smoke and fireworks too. Oh, keep fire extinguisher at hand.

I want to find out what's wrong

This is the issue:
PSU- CM Masterwatt Lite 600 W 230 V

Low quality PSU, not good enough even to power office PC without GPU. Let alone gaming PC with one.