[SOLVED] Can I cool an Intel Core i7-12700KF with a heat sync and fan? Or am I forced to water cool? (full ATX case)

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi folks...

I am building a new desktop and was looking for a 12th generation Intel processor. I found the Intel Core i7-12700KF. Does Intel build a heat sync and fan for this CPU? I could not find it if they do. This processor is going into a full sized ATX case and on a full sized ATX motherboard. I will add case fans.

Can I run this CPU with out water cooling it?

Thanks in advance,

mraroid

PS: motherboards recommendations also helpful - but I do need PCIe-5

Solution
K suffix processors do not come with a stock cooler.
Actually, I like the case.
If I read correctly, it comes with a 200mm front intake fan that can move a LOT of cooling air.
Noctua keeps a suitability list for their coolers.
Here is the list for the I7-12700KF:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700KF-1580
On the list, I would pick the NH-D15s.

NH-D15 is slightly stronger, but you need to check noctua for compatibility with asus motherboards.
Also ram heat spreader height may be an issue.
Corsair lpx ram at 31mm is ok.
To avoid those issues is why I suggested the D15s.

Water cooling is not a cure all.
It really is still air cooling, the only difference is where the radiator heat exchange takes place.
To do...
It does not come with a cpu fan, you will have to buy one.
Air cooling is enough if you keep the settings on a logical level, a lot of motherboards use way too high levels and you will have to lower them to intel specs.
If you want to O/C the CPU the more cooling you can get the better, but for simple normal operation air cooling will be fine.

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Thanks folks for the good information. I am ashamed to say I bought an inexpensive ATX full sized case. It is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6S1B3Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But it will give me to ability to water cool if I need to. I will install all the fans the case can take. I will not be over clocking my CPU.

If Intel is no longer making heat syncs and fans for it's CPUs, then I am looking for recommendations on a heat sync and fan for the above processor.

Any suggestions? I do not mind paying a bit more for a better fan & heatsync. I can go a step or two above a bottom of the the line ones. I do like to keep my CPUs cooler. I would like to keep it around 120 F or below if possible.

Thanks for all the help!

mraroid

A guy in the comments section for that case at Amazon says:

Air cooler clearance is 193mm (7.59 Inches). Radiator clearance is 65mm (2.55 Inches) to the Motherboard.

If accurate, you can use virtually any air cooler you want.....193 mm enough for nearly any air cooler.

I'd confirm those numbers at the Phanteks web site before buying.

Can't help you on water coolers, but air cooling would certainly be fine for you.

Reactions: Regis-Knight

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
I would not put that CPU in that case. It runs pretty hotly and that case does not seem to have great airflow. It also has the old layout with all the bays so you could have some space issues. I would go with a 4000d airflow or a lian li lancool mesh or something like that. You can get something good for 70-90 dollars. For the cooler, nhd 15 or a well reviewed aio

Last edited:
K suffix processors do not come with a stock cooler.
Actually, I like the case.
If I read correctly, it comes with a 200mm front intake fan that can move a LOT of cooling air.
Noctua keeps a suitability list for their coolers.
Here is the list for the I7-12700KF:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-12700KF-1580
On the list, I would pick the NH-D15s.

NH-D15 is slightly stronger, but you need to check noctua for compatibility with asus motherboards.
Also ram heat spreader height may be an issue.
Corsair lpx ram at 31mm is ok.
To avoid those issues is why I suggested the D15s.

Water cooling is not a cure all.
It really is still air cooling, the only difference is where the radiator heat exchange takes place.
To do better than the NH-D15s, you would need a 360 aio and your case can not handle that.

Solution
Hi folks...

I am building a new desktop and was looking for a 12th generation Intel processor. I found the Intel Core i7-12700KF. Does Intel build a heat sync and fan for this CPU? I could not find it if they do. This processor is going into a full sized ATX case and on a full sized ATX motherboard. I will add case fans.

Can I run this CPU with out water cooling it?

Thanks in advance,

mraroid

PS: motherboards recommendations also helpful - but I do need PCIe-5
Unless your planning on overclocking shop for a 12700/12700f.
Comes with a cooler.

The case is actually a pretty good case.
I set my wife's rig up in it.
I have had a corsair h100iv2 in it and now it has a Arctic Esports 34 Duo in it now.
I have removed the hdd bays and maid a lexan ramp to help redirect the air from the front bottom fan so it's not just pushing to a dead end into the psu cover.

That case should give you a choice of cooling.
View: https://m.imgur.com/a/qLJIQlm

KyaraM

Admirable
I know three people, myself included, who are air-cooling this CPU. One of them even with a cooler many here would deem too weak for it. What is this nonsense about not being able to oc it under air? I did just that not too long ago while testing stuff and still had some headroom. Get a decent air cooler and even that is no issue, unless you want to see how hard you can push the CPU. Anything sensible should be okay with a Noctua NH-D15 (if you can live with that god awful color...) or a BeQuiet! DarkRock 4 Pro, or similar coolers.

I'm running an MSI PRO Z690-A, btw, and am quite happy with the board.

Edit: Rereading the thread again, you mention wanting to keep the CPU below 120F, or 49°C, under full load I presume. Forget that. Not even with AIO, unless you play only games that don't stress the CPU. You should expect to see 50-60°C on average, regardless of what cooling solution you pick. More with OC. 49°C is nonsense anyways, no CPU needs to run that cool under load...

Last edited:

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
All...

Thank all of you for the many suggestions and detailed examples. I am leaning towards fan cooling, But I think I need to read in detail all of the above before making up my mind.

At least now, I have good data to go from.

Many thanks!

mraroid

TRENDING THREADS