[SOLVED] Can I copy Steam & Games too...

Geezer760

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
I'm almost done building a new PC but my old PC has Steam installed and games on a 2TB HD, and a 500gb ssd with also just steam games on it, could I install steam onto my new 1TB ssd and move all the steamapps folder from the old 2TB HD to the new 1tb ssd and the games from the old 500ssd to the same new 1tb ssd, of coarse I'd also copy the games folder in the Documents folder over from the old C/win 10 NVme to the new NVme on to new system, would the games still play ok, my old system is an Intel 6600k and new system is an AMD 5600x would that matter? I hope I explained this to be understandable, some ideas/input/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, I'm mainly worried about my Skyrim since it's heavily modded and too many hours in a character.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, you can migrate a Steam folder to another drive or computer. Steam themselves have a good tutorial for it. Very easy and once you do and install the player, just direct it to the new install location, it will fix a couple of local files and you are good.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you can migrate a Steam folder to another drive or computer. Steam themselves have a good tutorial for it. Very easy and once you do and install the player, just direct it to the new install location, it will fix a couple of local files and you are good.

Reactions: Geezer760
Solution

revodo

Proper
BANNED
Jun 10, 2021
Yes, it's possible. There are different ways to do it. I've actually had better luck just copying the steamapps folder and letting Steam verify the files more than it's ancient built-in backup option, but the choice is yours.

Reactions: Geezer760