[SOLVED] Can I create a full backup of my PC on my laptop?

Jun 26, 2020
I need to reinstall windows 10 and would like to backup my entire PC before proceeding. Is it possible to back up my PC to another computer? I have a laptop that has 900gb+ of free space. Do I need to format the hard drive on the laptop first? If I am able to backup my PC to my laptop, do I just need to connect the two with a USB cable and create the backup from there?

Solution
HI there. Do I have to remove the hard drive from my laptop in order to plug it into my PC with a USB cable or can I just plug the USB cable from the PC straight into the laptop and choose the Hard Drive on my laptop as the backup drive when I am creating the backup on my PC. Also I don't really understand what you mean by "Format the Laptop drive in the Windows installation Setup then you have a clean drive ready for new Windows". Does this mean I have to format/remove everything in the hard drive in my laptop before creating a backup of my PC?
I'm sorry i thought you wanted to back up your Laptop drive:LOL:
You don't have to format your Laptop Drive for your PC's backups.If you format your laptop hardrive Your Windows on your...

Bassplate

Reputable
I need to reinstall windows 10 and would like to backup my entire PC before proceeding. Is it possible to back up my PC to another computer? I have a laptop that has 900gb+ of free space. Do I need to format the hard drive on the laptop first? If I am able to backup my PC to my laptop, do I just need to connect the two with a USB cable and create the backup from there?
Hi there :benetton:
Yes you can connect your Laptop Hardrive to a computer VIA SATA Connect or USB connection.If you connect the Laptop drive VIA SATA connection make sure that the Laptop drive is set as Secondary boot order in BIOS and not 1st boot order.
If you want to use USB connect to the computer just simply Start your Computer and insert your Laptop drive and do your Backups.
When your backups has been completed just insert your laptop drive back to the laptop and Run your Windows installation Setup,,,,Format the Laptop drive in the Windows installation Setup then you have a clean drive ready for new Windows.
Hope it helps:benetton:

Jun 26, 2020
Hi there :benetton:
Yes you can connect your Laptop Hardrive to a computer VIA SATA Connect or USB connection.If you connect the Laptop drive VIA SATA connection make sure that the Laptop drive is set as Secondary boot order in BIOS and not 1st boot order.
If you want to use USB connect to the computer just simply Start your Computer and insert your Laptop drive and do your Backups.
When your backups has been completed just insert your laptop drive back to the laptop and Run your Windows installation Setup,,,,Format the Laptop drive in the Windows installation Setup then you have a clean drive ready for new Windows.
Hope it helps:benetton:
HI there. Do I have to remove the hard drive from my laptop in order to plug it into my PC with a USB cable or can I just plug the USB cable from the PC straight into the laptop and choose the Hard Drive on my laptop as the backup drive when I am creating the backup on my PC. Also I don't really understand what you mean by "Format the Laptop drive in the Windows installation Setup then you have a clean drive ready for new Windows". Does this mean I have to format/remove everything in the hard drive in my laptop before creating a backup of my PC?

Bassplate

Reputable
I'm sorry i thought you wanted to back up your Laptop drive:LOL:
You don't have to format your Laptop Drive for your PC's backups.If you format your laptop hardrive Your Windows on your Laptop will be gone.
Well yes you can connect your Laptop to your PC using an USB and then chose the Laptop hardrive as your Back up device...I know you can back up over Network connection as well.Using a LAN cable for the 2 or Connect it on the same Router.
The best way is to use an external hardrive for back ups but you can ether use the USB connection you mentioned or You can also Take your Laptop Hardrive and install it into your computer WITHOUT FORMATTING THE LAPTOP DRIVE...Then you can back up your PC straight on to the Laptop hardrive.

After your back ups has been completed and you are ready for your new Windows installation for your PC....You will see when you are in the Windows installation setup you can Format your PC hardrive there for your New Windows.

Solution