Question Can I cut cables on non-modular power supply?

AlphaCompton

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
I bought a really good 850watt power supply a while ago to prepare for an dual GPU SLI setup which never happened and I don't plan on doing SLI anymore either. It's not modular and the many cables are taking up too much space in my cases power supply shroud, so can I can cut some of the cables?

I do some light electrical work on cars(installing car audio and lightning systems) so I know exposed power wires can be really bad, can I terminate the wires or use electrical tape if I do cut them?

Anyone with experience on this?
It seems like a waste to buy a whole new power supply just to get back some space in the shroud(I want to add another hard drive and the 3.5 there is heavily cramped already between the cables).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can, but I would not do so. See if someone wants to buy your power supply.

You can get a high quality modular 650W or something so your loss won't be too high.

If you do cut the wires, just make sure to insulate each end.

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
If you terminate them to prevent shorting there is no issue for the power supply, if you do it inside the power supply make damn sure you don't touch anywhere that could discharge capacitors into you... results could be deadly, if not quite painful.